ID.4 AWD Ground Clearance

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by JimB, Nov 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JimB

JimB New Member

Could someone who has an ID.4 AWD measure the actual ground clearance at the lowest point? So much confusion out there. Not sure if there would be any difference between 19" tires and 20" tires that come with the gradient package (which I was forced to upgrade to in order to get a delivery date of Dec./Jan.). I have seen that the the AWD has .6" more ground clearance than the RWD, but I have seen ground clearance figures for the RWD ranging from 6.4 to 8" An actual measurement would be great.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. pescatore

pescatore Member

I just picked up my ID.4 Pro yesterday. 19 inch wheels. Just measured - looks like 8.25 inches to me. There is a small plastic bump out in front of the tires which brings that down to 7 at each tire. Personally, I am happy with that. I ran a VW bug, then Rabbit, then Golf, all over creation with less. And have taken my Prius on bad dirt roads too many times to count. This will give me breathing space, but it's not an off-roader (which is fine - "off-road", in my opinion, should be reserved for hikers, bikers, and horses).

4. Are you in North America or Europe?

5. pescatore

pescatore Member

North America. US.

6. Well I thought I had the whole ground clearance thing figured out for the ID.4 but I guess not.

From what I could find, the North American specs all seem to point to 6.4-6.7" while the European specs were saying 8.2" IF equipped with active suspension.

My theory was that the NA ID.4 did not come with active suspension thus the lower clearance. I wish they would be more open with the specs of ground clearances in different markets so people would not have to guess all the time.

I am glad to hear however that you have 8.2" in the US. Gives me hope for Canada.

pescatore likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pescatore

pescatore Member

I agree - I was running on the assumption that it was 8.2 I was not aware of the other North American Specs. Mine is speced as: "Four-wheel independent suspension" under the Performance heading of the sticker. I agree that it's important. Especially so in Canada.

EVatLast likes this.
  9. My own admittedly imprecise measurements on a 12/18/2021-delivered U.S. AWD w/ 19" wheels mirror yours.

I measured 8.5" under the "meat" of the front end ...

... and an absolute minimum clearance of 6.5" measured to bottom of the "sharp plastic trailing edge" of the plastic "bump" ahead of the front wheels.

EVatLast likes this.
  10. Correction: (i.e. too late to edit)

Post immediately above should have cited 20" wheels. (vice 19")