Iconic trim best feature

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Lainey, Nov 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

My car is scheduled for production in the next few weeks. So I have a little time to make any changes. I currently am on my Signature Plus trim level with black leather. I want to hear if you really love something in the Iconic level that would be worth a $3k jump. I would likely move to the black leather as I am not a fan of the satellite gray interior (both color and stitching). Will not get power spoke wheels either. So give me the good or not so good with the trim level.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The leather is top-notch, and the Iconic level steering wheel feels great.

Bigger screen gives you split-screen, so you can see two things at once. The secondary options are a bit limited, but you can see what you're listening to (including album art), or driving performance. The split screen is about 66/33.

Apple CarPlay is not full screen, so it's always in split screen mode. The way I currently use it is to stay in CarPlay mode and have my split screen showing what's playing on satellite radio. Sometimes I use the MINI navigation instead, but once MINI updates the Connected app to offer EV routing in Apple Maps I now I'll be sitting in CarPlay 100% of the time, so the split screen will be even more appreciated.

The front distance control sensor may be the other big benefit, I find it helpful when parking front-first (I know that's not how MINI owners should park) or pulling into garages. It makes the car seem even more like the future with proximity sensors all around.

Lainey likes this.
  4. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Thank you @Puppethead ! I forgot Iconic comes with satellite radio. I do not have an iPhone (my biggest gripe about BMW assuming we all do, though admittedly Android Auto sucks) which means that part isn't important. The charger would have to be altered to fit my phone as it's not a smaller model.

I do pull into my garage and some parking spots and being short I never see over the hood lol

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Check out this post from Oct 21, 2020 in the Android Auto thread, sounds like there's a reasonable solution for the SE and Android phones.

6. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I saw that. I just am not a huge fan of AA. Caused phones to run rather hot and more glitchy lately. We have it on the Civic and haven't used it in a year or longer. I haven't tried in a while though or on my newer phone. I might have to try just for giggles. For a techy person I have avoided some things... including bimmercode :eek:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

It hasn't been mentioned yet but during my test drive I found the HUD to be surprisingly useful despite thinking initially it would be more of a gimmick. It shows a large range of information (current speed, speed limit in that area, satnav directions, collision warnings, etc.) and I preferred looking at that rather than the regular digital display.

Lainey likes this.
  9. ScottIJ

ScottIJ New Member

Aren’t most of these things already displayed on the digital gauge cluster?

10. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

So I tried it today and it worked. It didn't do much more than what bluetooth connection with amazon music (what I use most) does so I uninstalled for now. No map at this time so no need to keep. But it was fun to play with. Considering testing out bimmercode in the next few weeks too.

11. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

Some of them are, such as speed, for example. Other things, such as satnav directions, are not. At any rate, my point was that I found this information easier to access via the HUD while driving rather than by glancing down at the digital cluster which is positioned between the steering wheel gap.

F14Scott and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I appreciated all the thoughts. My car got its VIN today and hit the production line. So no changes for me. I had been looking at videos again to see if anything in the Iconic package was a need for me. But this chose for me. I'm happy honestly. I think this was the best choice as it was my gut instinct choice after seeing options in person. I just was second guessing myself

MichaelC, GetOffYourGas and GvilleGuy like this.
  14. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

In production! That's great. I'd give you t-minus 50 days to Baltimore and your dealer.

Lainey likes this.
  15. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping to squeek it in before year end. Or at least have paperwork signed and it paid for. I'm also dying to meet my car I admit. Coming up with possible names already.

TittaPDX, Toi and GvilleGuy like this.
  16. TittaPDX

TittaPDX Member

That's exactly how I want to use my iconic display - to split screen carplay waze navigation and sirius xm. However, I haven't figured out how to have sirius xm play while waze is also going.

Work has been taking up all my time lately and WFH means no commute. I'm ashamed to admit I've driven less than 200 miles since picking it up about a month ago (hangs head in shame). Still need to discover so many features. Still unable to get my garage door opener to connect to this vehicle (connects to two others just fine). Will hopefully try out the auto parallel parking today when I go to a hair appt in SE Portland where I almost always have to parallel park. Love the car, just need more time in it!

Toi, GvilleGuy and Lainey like this.
  17. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

I was ready to buy in April, except for exactly that!

I ordered last week. I imagine it may still be up to six months working at home after mine arrives, but who knows?

Puppethead, Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  18. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Not a fan of animal skin seats (the MINI tweed is fantastic), or more/bigger displays. Quite happy with the mid-tier trim.

Lainey likes this.
  19. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I actually would have done all leatherette if I could've had that option in the mid level. I have it on my current Mini. I know I'm in the minority, but the cloth was way too itchy for me on bare skin.

polyphonic likes this.