Iced up front emblem/radar

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by NotGreen, Dec 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NotGreen

NotGreen New Member

Apologies if this has been discussed. Did not find a thread by searching.

In the winter, when the roads in NW Ohio are snowy, slushy, or there is just a wet snow in the air, the front Honda emblem tends to get covered in snow/ice. I'm not worried about the aesthetics of this. However, right behind that emblem is the radar device. When the emblem ices, the radar does not operate properly and throws on idiot lights. Problem is resolved as soon as I stop and wipe the snow/ice off of the front emblem.

I had a detail shop do a 12 month ceramic coat on the emblem. I was hoping it would make it slippery enough to avoid the snow/ice buildup. This did not work. Has anyone else come up with a solution to this? I also thought of looking for an aviation deicer. I have no idea how expensive this would be, or how often I would need to apply it.

Thoughts?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I paid a bit extra to have some brand of water-resistant coating to the windshield applied when I bought that car, and it came with a dozen extra wipes they said to put on monthly to keep it working, but I've never bothered since the Rain-X wiper fluid seems to work great. I'm not in an area where I get ice during the day and I park in a garage, so I have no idea if it would help, but it does a great job at making any rain on the windshield bead up so I never have to try to see through sheets of water even when the rain is heavy. Maybe it might make ice less likely to stick, too?

https://www.rainx.com/product/rain-x-plastic-water-repellent-trigger/ or, since you added a ceramic coating, maybe https://www.rainx.com/original-glass-water-repellent

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  4. Turn off the nanny features.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Or could try applying WD-40 to a rag and wipe on while keeping off the paint?

6. NotGreen

NotGreen New Member

That is a good tip. I have used rain-x in the past on windshields. I am also aware of the coating that details can use that are supposed to be more durable. That could work. Thanks.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NotGreen

NotGreen New Member

I have everything turned off, except for the forward collision. 2 reasons. I'm concerned with liability, if I had an accident and then I was questioned as to why that was turned off. Also, you have to turn it off every time to start the car. The other nannys stay off. Also, I do like to use the ACC from time to time.

gedwin likes this.
  9. NotGreen

NotGreen New Member

That's not a bad idea, since WD-40 dispels water and moisture. Do you think it would be safe on the plastic lens of the emblem?

10. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

No idea tbh

11. WD-40 displaces water. It is a solvent. Read the label before application.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Amazon, and a lot of stores sell this coating, which works great on my snow shovel, but I don't know if it's compatible with plastic.

[​IMG]

Daniel M W likes this.
  14. JohnT

JohnT Active Member

Hi Insightman I have a can and used it... 'maybe' it does some good; but in mucky weather the radar still gets blocked.. not sure anything aside from a mechanical solution would work (like those old-time comics with a hand controlled with pulleys :) )

insightman likes this.
  15. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

I have a bottle of Rain-X for plastic & polycarbonate for the roof of my Smart Electric. You don't want to use regular Rain-X on plastic. I hadn't thought of using it for the radar sensor on the Clarity, but will give it a go. Here in Ottawa we just got our first snowfall, so I should know if it prevents ice build-up in a week or two.

16. Paddy

Paddy Member

I had the same issue today. The first time it was snow built up on the emblem so I wiped it out at a parking lot. The second time it was ice so I just left it. I will try the RainX for Plastic tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.