I wish the Clarity was more Voltish

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tim66, Apr 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

I love the Clarity and if I had the choice of a new Volt or a new Clarity I'd get the Clarity. But.... Chevrolet did a much better job of designing and implementing the the PHEV elements of their car than Honda did. The Volt only uses the ICE when the driver wants to use it and regenerative braking is simpler and, I believe, more efficient. Honda's decision to allow the driver to choose regenerative braking in ECO mode but then shut it off every time the brake is pushed is ridiculous. The Volt has no "detent"and no "angry bees". The oil change interval for the Volt makes more sense than the Clarity's. The Volt has an oil life monitor. Basically you drive the Volt as an EV or ICE vehicle when you decide to do so (unless the battery is depleted). The Clarity, on the other hand, will on occasion use the ICE regardless of the driver's wish to do so. But other than the EV aspects of the Volt the Clarity is a better car. I love the extra interior room, the true 5 passenger seating, the handling and the accessories (I have the Touring model). I just wish the Clarity was more like the Volt on the EV side of the equation.

Tim

kevosuki likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

The Clarity won't use the ICE any more than the Volt if you don't stomp on the pedal. Both of them will occasionally force it on for systems checks. The Volt is cramped and has uncomfortable seats. I have a back/butt support cushion for my CR-V, and whenever I'm in my parents' Volt, I have to bring it with me. Not so for the Clarity.

I'd much rather get oil changes more often than be uncomfortable every single time I need to use the car to get somewhere.

JJim, insightman and KentuckyKen like this.
  4. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

Seriously? Did you read my entire post? It doesn't appear so. I agree with the size issues. I like the Clarity more exactly for that reason. I'm not suggesting anyone buy a Volt over a Clarity. How on earth did you arrive at the conclusion that I or anyone would want to be cramped just to have an oil life sensor? I would like to have an oil life sensor on the Clarity, who wouldn't. But I'm not going to buy a vehicle I don't like just to get one. And as a three year Volt owner I can assure assure you that the Volt's ICE run time is all but non-existent compared to the Clarity. My point, which you seem to have missed, is that I wish Honda had designed the Clarity EV part of the PHEV system more like the Volt. Again, I love the Clarity I just wish it was better designed in the EV department.

JJim likes this.
  5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Good observations, but I suspect there are posts in the Volt forums with observations like “I wish the Volt was more Clarityish.” Both shine in some aspects, but have quirks in others. Just like every other vehicle on the road.

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/how-to-improve-the-clarity.3903/

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

When you say you want the Clarity to be better designed in the EV department, I can agree with you if you’re meaning have it give us more information and user configurable choices. But if you mean engineering changes as to how the EV vs HV interacts, then I’d have to respectfully disagree.

I like the way it’s designed to have seamless friction vs regen braking and added regen (even though it’s not enough for 1 pedal driving). I find EV only (even though it’s not “100% pure” EV) power to be plenty powerful enough without going past the detent/click 99.99 of the time.

And the ICE hardly ever turns on for me. For example, I’ve gone 6,000+ miles since filling up in July and I haven’t lost a bar on the gas gauge. That’s an insignificant amount of gasoline used while driving in Econ “EV”. I don’t begrudge this minuscule amount of gas consumption since it’s keeping the engine healthy and ready to instantly come on if and when I need it. If anyone is adamant about absolutely avoiding any dino burning, then a PHEV is not the car for them. Personally, I don’t see a very meaningful difference between a BEV and my PHEV that went one year and 8,000+ miles on 13 gal of gas and 1 oil change.
    We’re both helping the environment and our wallets. And since I’m charging from home solar PV, I can argue my carbon footprint is just as small, if not smaller.

While the Clarity may occasionally run its engine, I wouldn’t want any changes since I can drive in near 100% EV in my local driving and have no range anxiety on long trips. And best of all, the car does it all automatically as long as I charge up before my trip. So since I’ve never experienced the angry bees or loss of power (even on steep hills) I wouldn’t want anything changed. Although more information, more customizable settings, and a few minor items like heated steering wheel and surround cameras etc. would be nice, I can live without them to get everything else the Clarity offers.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

No doubt. Probably the number one wish for Volt owners would be larger interior room and true seating for 5. But honestly, I doubt if there are any comments about wishing a Volt was more e like a Clarity in the EV department.

9. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

Is anyone else getting tired of the same topics being rehashed and debated over and over again in this forum?

David Towle, Ceetee and guinness10 like this.
  10. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

But why design an PHEV that has a detent in the first place? Do you agree that the requirement that you have to constantly, manually engage regenerative mode with the paddle in ECON mode is a PITA? With the Volt you merely put the shifter in L and you have regenerative braking in any mode (in addition to regen when you apply the brake). I just wish the Clarity would always be in EV mode until I decided to use the ICE. A problem I'm having is that if I go past the detent in EV mode the ICE comes on but will not shut off. This happens no matter what the SOC. Some people here have said it is normal and the ICE will shut off after 10 minutes. Why? That is the kind of poor EV engineering I'm talking about. And would it have killed them to add an oil life function? Again the Clarity is a better overall car than the Volt IMHO. Just exercising my wishful thinking option.

Tim

11. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

No.

ken wells, Mesa and Mowcowbell like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The detent makes sense to me, but I've only test driven a Volt, so I don't have much experience with it. The logic of the detent in my mind is that it is very easy to stay in EV (at least for me) when in Econ mode, but if you really need the added power in an emergency situation, it is where you would expect it to be ... at the end of the gas pedal.

JJim and jdonalds like this.
  14. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I like the detent design. It has saved my butt a couple of times. I find it very easy to drive full EV but when I've needed extra power it was there without pushing any buttons.

15. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

When you need extra power in the Volt in EV mode you merely push the accelerator all the way down without engaging the ICE. The acceleration of the Volt in EV mode is greater than the acceleration of the Clarity in EV/ICE mode. That's Probably a function of the larger battery. The detent seems to me to be a jury rigged item to allow for a smaller battery. But to your point, in the Clarity you have to actively avoid going into HV mode. In the Volt you do not. The simple act of passing someone on the freeway will probably engage the ICE on a Clarity while on the Volt it will not.

Ceetee likes this.
  16. ab13

ab13 Active Member

It would have required a different battery pack design that would highly likely reduced electric range. This design was to increase range efficiency, not total EV power output. It cannot provide full electric power to the maximum rating of the EV drive motor. It only provides about 2/3 of the electric power the drive motor can take. Mainly because the majority of the time people drive at cruising speeds that don't need full power. In fact it uses very little power relative to the max output of most drive trains.

If they had reconfigured the battery for full ev motor output, I wouldn't be surprised if the range dropped to 35 miles or less, since the battery current output would need to be about 50% greater.

17. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

When you need extra power on the Volt while in EV mode there are no buttons to push or a detent just apply more pedal. And you do not engage the ICE when doing so.

18. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

Then put in a bigger battery. 50% larger? The Volt battery is only 1.4 KW greater. Additionally the Clarity curb weight is only 258 pounds greater than the Volt.

19. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Based on the new models it's about 500 lbs difference.

It's not as simple as that. It requires both space and weight rating. The Clarity is vehicle in the 4000 lb+ class, gross vehicle weight rating is about under 5000 lbs. The Volt doesn't carry as much passenger and cargo capacity, so it's GVWR will be less. That affects suspension, crash test performance, which can further increase weight for crash test performance (adding more weight means adding additional structural weight to support the additional component weight).

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm almost certain Honda looked at the Volt while they were developing the Clarity PHEV. If Honda wanted to provide a NO ICE mode, they could have done it. It wasn't something they forgot to include. Honda was focusing on overall efficiency rather than trying to out-Volt the Volt.

The Clarity PHEV's HV Mode is a thing of beauty as it selects the most efficient way to get the car down the road. That requires using the ICE, which makes sense for people traveling further than the Clarity's EV range. As noted above, you don't have to work very hard to keep the Clarity PHEV in EV Drive mode. Just restrain the angle of your right ankle. I drove 10 months on Honda's gas before finally visiting a gas station on my first multi-state voyage.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    JJim and Tim66 like this.
  21. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I also own a Volt and a Clarity. Both are great cars. I wish the Clarity had more information available similar to the Volt. Would I have designed the Clarity more like the Volt as far as operation/regen/etc? I don't think so. They are just different, and both designs work for what they are. It is true that the Clarity will burn a little more gas than the Volt due to the design, but it's just not enough to get aggravated over (for me at least). The Volt I own (2012 generation 1) can have a loud ICE (angry bees) as well after depletion of the battery. That's why GM put the mountain mode in the car. It generally is a louder ICE than my Honda.

Tim66 likes this.
  22. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

The Clarity is bigger than the Volt how would it require more space to put a Volt sized battery in the Clarity? Without knowing the weight of each vehicle's batteries the suspension and crash test comments are just speculation. Size doesn't always matter. My 5.0L Ford Ranger 6 cylinder engine has only 2 HP more than the Honda Civic SI 4 cylinder. The volt battery pack weighs 435 pounds but I couldn't find what the Clarity's battery pack weighs. Do you have that number?

23. LAF

LAF Active Member

I like the idea that the engine will come on when you really need it. Unless you have a Tesla acceleration at high speeds is not great all EV. When I need to move fast on the highway I am glad the ICE comes on to help without me having to do something. Rarely does the engine come on when driving around town even when I drive in Sport mode which I think makes the car even more fun to drive.

insightman likes this.