I saw you (Kona Electric spotting)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by nigels, Feb 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nigels

nigels Active Member

Another car forum I belong to has a “I saw you” thread for forum members who spotted each other on the road. Since I bought my car last May I’ve seen exactly 2 Kona Electrics in the road in Massachusetts. Today, I saw a white one in Bedford, MA. I waved. Not sure if they saw me, but it made today a red letter day ;)

Jolee, Clamps, ehatch and 1 other person like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ha! I love this. There’s been a wave of deliveries in my area over the past few months so I’ve seen more and more Konas in the wild and everyone waves.

Recently I parked at my local grocery store and when I came back to my car, another Kona with a license plate that was one number off from mine was parked next to me.

I followed one home on my 55km commute today. They waved at me.

It reminds me of the VW salute. My husband has a GTI and we can’t go anywhere without someone raising a hand to us.

It’s nice to “meet” other owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Rikk_EV, arhnold and nigels like this.
  4. nigels

nigels Active Member

Every electric car I see these days seems to be a Tesla Model 3, so it's nice to see another Kona Electric because they're so rare. Acknowledging other Kona drivers is a nice way to feel part of the small (and growing!) community of electric car drivers who think outside the Tesla box.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  5. Hah. I work in Acton, MA right down the road...and I have a white Kona. But I wasn't in Bedford recently. I live in Northampton and there's a Hyundai dealer here that keeps a large stock of BEV's so I've seen quite a few out west here. I've waved at others too but no one ever seems to seem me. Maybe the windshield has a lot of glare?

6. BTW nigels..I love your profile photo. I didn't know what it was at first. Beautifully abstract at first glance and totally realistic on close examination. Wish I thought of it! I'm still looking for one.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. nigels

nigels Active Member

Nice to meet you, neighbor! I’ll keep an eye out for you around Acton. Not sure about the windshield glare, but that’s an interesting theory. I was going to suggest flashing headlights, but as well all know Kona drivers quickly become accustomed to everyone flashing them because of the headlight misalignment ;) Pity we can’t open and close the charging port door remotely!

Peter Thomas likes this.
  9. nigels

nigels Active Member

I’m afraid I can’t take credit for that. It was an image I found online as a placeholder until I found something more unique. A few people have this image in their profiles.

10. Hahn

Hahn New Member

My Kona EV is VERY unique. My Sonata PHEV also. I'm in Phoenix, you can't buy these cars in AZ, I had to go to CA to buy both. I've never seen another Sonata PHEV in the coming up to a year I've owned it. I know of one other Kona in AZ that I saw at a SRP (local utility) EV car event. They were showing it along with a few others from CA an NV. It's lonely out here :)

11. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

New Hampshire here. But most days you can find me on I-93 between Andover and Manchester commuting back and forth. I see plenty of Model 3s, and an occasional Model S or X, but still no other Kona anywhere! And that’s since I got mine in September of last year... :). I’ll definitely wave if I see one!

nigels likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I'm coming up to a year of ownership. I have seen only one other Kona EV. I'm in Ontario and travel frequently on our major roads. Nothing. Oddly enough, the one I saw was on a local street and, it turns out it was owned by a friend of a coworker!

nigels likes this.
  14. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Not sure why H is so slow to distribute the Kona EVs in the mid-Atlantic/New England area. We're just north of NYC, and there is only 1 2020 Kona EV within less than 150 miles of here according to the inventory site; there are a few at 175 miles or so, and more are at greater than 200 miles distance. We had ours driven up to a local dealer from the Baltimore area back in December. I keep looking and haven't seen another Kona EV yet.

15. Apparently, Hyundai is currently only selling the Kona EV in the 8 states that have the best EV charging infrastructure. I'm in MD, one of the 8 states.

16. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Yes....but they are supposedly selling them in NY and CT....and still very poor inventory.

17. nigels

nigels Active Member

I bought mine in CT because they were the only dealer that was willing to source the spec I wanted. The dealers in MA wouldn’t even allow test drives in May last year.

18. nigels

nigels Active Member

I spotted a white Kona Electric with what looked like Harvard University decals in Cambridge, MA today. Seems like the ideal vehicle for campus facilities and security.

ehatch likes this.
  19. Spotted in Cowichan Bay on Vee road, White Kona electric parked in tandem with a white Tesla M3. Looks like you might be checking out a lot to build a new house in my neighbourhood. I slowly drove by in my blue Kona electric.

ehatch and nigels like this.
  20. In Oregon, I saw your blue Kona EV with a white top (I think it’s an SEL) heading toward Portland on 99E near Holgate. I was going the opposite direction on 99E in my all blue Kona EV Limited. I’ve seen several ICE Konas but only 1 other EV (a white one on the Banfield). I was so happy to see you!! You were only the 2nd one I’ve seen! Wish we could have waved to each other or something.

ehatch, niro525 and nigels like this.
  21. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

We frequently drive from NE CT to the Lowell MA area (grey SEL with white top), sometimes stopping in Acton for lunch at one of our favorite restaurants. Meantime the only EV we've ever spotted in our area was a Bolt, other than that we feel pretty darn unique. We did see a Tesla M3 in Lowell a couple of weeks ago.

nigels likes this.
  22. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Heh, well, I'm probably the *other* gray/white SEL that occasionally
    plies the I-495 corridor up along there.

_H*

23. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Definitely a regen 3 road.