I moved and my Kona's efficiency improved

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bruce M., Mar 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

As I've posted on here before, earlier this year I moved from San Francisco to Hilo, Hawaii. My car arrived on Feb. 23, so I've now had it here almost a month, and am experiencing a benefit I didn't anticipate: Significantly improved efficiency.

In SF I quite steadily averaged 4.6 mi/kwh. A lot of my driving was short trips of a few miles or less for errands, shopping, etc. (no commute to work), with occasional longer highway jaunts for recreational activities. While an occasional trip would produce somewhat different efficiency numbers, the overall average was rock-steady. The GOM consistently showed about 285-290 miles on a full charge, sometimes slightly better.

Here in Hilo, there are two primary differences: 1) The temperature typically runs 15-20 degrees warmer than my former home (though temps in San Francisco were rarely frigid enough to significantly impede my range), and 2) My driving patterns have changed a bit:

I live in the hills about 8 miles outside of town, and the trip into Hilo is almost entirely down hill -- enough so that the whole way down and for about a mile after the car shows me getting 999 mi/kwh. Of course, the return trip takes me back up the hill, but when I pull into my driveway it's almost always showing at least 5 mi/kwh for the trip and often more. After just a month, my cumulative lifetime energy usage is already up to 4.7 mi/kwh. This is even though I'm using the A/C a fair amount here, and almost never used it in foggy San Francisco. The car is now pretty consistently telling me I can go 300 miles or more on a full charge.

My driving style has not changed. I've always been pretty economical in terms of how I accelerate, etc., drive in Normal mode and keep the regen set to 3.

Anyway, I don't really need anything from anyone, just thought I'd share this. Your thoughts are welcomed.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Just wondering, do you charge to 100% at home? If so, that 8 mile downhill regen is wasted, you would get even better efficiency by starting with 80% or less and taking full advantage from the maximum regen level.

Ginginova and ForceEdge like this.
  4. Bruce M.

I charge about 95% at home, but only up to 80%, sometimes slightly less. On the way downhill I typically gain about 2 miles of range.

Jimct likes this.
  5. Congratulations on the move Bruce, it sounds lovely.

I guess its just as well you are getting better efficiency as the only dampener to your new location seems to be the brutal electricity costs. I guess unless your producing from your own solar source which is still not free( but probably significantly better than from the utility) a less efficient EV might be a hard sell there vs efficient ICE like a Prius even with the current gas prices over $5/gallon.

6. Bruce M.

I just got my first relatively normal electric bill -- with the car here and my new home heat pumps installed -- and it's about 20% less than my March bills were running in San Francisco. In part it's because I'm not heating a hot tub here, but also Hawaiian Electric's time-of-use rates work well for me.

7. To remove this ad click here.