I love the grill

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by polyphonic, Nov 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

There. I said it. I love the filled-in grill.
    To me it looks like a futuristic EV, while still retaining the classic MINI design.

Respect for those that have swapped it, because modding is cool too.

I love this car more every day. :)

GvilleGuy, MichaelC and GetOffYourGas like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You're half-way in my club. What do you think about the unaerodynamic, fake hood scoop so close to the gorgeous aerodynamic grille? Respect for those who don't mind the scoop and those who think my car looks slower without the scoop. Of course, I share your final sentiment (and emoji).

[​IMG]

polyphonic and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm being pedantic because "grille" is an okay word, but do EVs need a new term for the front, like "nose" maybe? Certainly no ventilation is occurring.

5. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Well, less ventilation is occurring, but not none. You still need airflow for the air conditioning and heat pump for conditioning the cabin and battery.

6. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I like it best without the yellow but I do like it. I have no plans on swapping it for another. If I do anything it will be if I decide to vinyl wrap all chrome and make it black, but I haven't decided if I will or not (still waiting on delivery here)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I'm good with the yellow circles. All I plan to order is black door handles and leave the rest of the chrome as is. (with BRG and black roof)

9. insightman

Because I assumed the lower air intake would be sufficient for an electric car, I was surprised when I learned there is an open slot within the "blade" on the otherwise filled-in grille.

upload_2020-11-30_16-56-47.png

Texas22Step and polyphonic like this.
  10. Puppethead

Could that be for aerodynamics instead of ventilation? Maybe the nose is too blunt to be an unbroken surface? I'm sure MINI engineers have reasons for what they did. Regardless of the complaints by some about range, it's got some pretty impressive engineering. Especially for an ICE body retrofit.

11. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I'll have a BRG with black roof and mirrors too. Don't mind the yellow circle, just didn't care for the blade yellow. I've tried to piece all chrome parts and at this point for consistency front to back, if I black-out all chrome I plan to do vinyl. I'll do the front grille and boot handle too for good measure. I'm still unsure I'll want that much black (bonnet stripes will be black as are my wheels) so I plan to see how I feel when i get it in person and live with the chrome. I like it on my current though

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

Won't the black door handles feel out of place by themselves and start demanding you convert the rest of the brightwork, too?

14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

That's why I haven't ordered the door handles in black or the lights at this time :D. If I go black on one, I'll do it all, and I'll have it all done in the same type of black vinyl. I'm a bit particular that way.

insightman likes this.
  15. polyphonic

16. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

17. Tsr

Tsr New Member

I do vinyl on mine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

MichaelC, Lainey and Domenick like this.
  18. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

That looks fantastic!

19. insightman

polyphonic and GetOffYourGas like this.
  20. Puppethead

What can we SE owners do about grille badges? We're missing out on some of the fun.

21. insightman

Take photos of the badges and have badge decals made for the grille. For the rear of my SE I had a removable clear-background decal made of the MINI head designer's signature, because all of the MINI Electric sketches and prototypes he showed before the production version had no hood scoop. I'm going to send him one; if he tells me my decal makes him unhappy, I'll remove it.

MichaelC likes this.
  22. idrw

idrw Member

Looks Awesome!!

23. polyphonic

Interesting! Yep, clear as day - and I agree it looks better without it. I wonder if there is a notable efficiency loss from the scoop.