Hyundai/Kia navigation is gaining EV route planning functionality soon

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by UnnDunn, Mar 31, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Looks like Hyundai/Kia navigation is going to have the ability to add up to four EV chargers to your route automatically as needed, and it will display expected battery SoC and charging times at each stop. Finally!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Looks like the update is slated to drop in early May 2023.

4. The May 2023 Navigation Map and Software Update is here for all Hyundai vehicles with Gen5W Navigation head units. As expected, this update finally enables the EV Route Planner, which will automatically suggest EV chargers along your route when necessary, along with expected charging times and arrival States of Charge. It will even add, remove or change chargers automatically as the situation changes, such as if traffic builds up along your route, or if your efficiency changes.

Compatible vehicles include
    • 2020-2022 Ioniq Electric
    • 2020-2023 Kona Electric
    • 2022-2023 Ioniq 5
    2023 Ioniq 6 already has this feature.

Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  5. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

This software is horrible. All the EV YouTubers agree and I agree with them, this is just about the worst piece of software I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

6. I used the built-in EV route planner on a recent road-trip, about 600 miles each way. The software actually isn't all that bad. It has a couple of major deficiencies:
    • It searches for routes and then separately searches for chargers along those routes. This means that once it has locked in a route, if it doesn't find any chargers along that route, it gets stuck or starts looking for AC chargers instead of looking for a whole new route. You can work around this by using the "Avoid roads" feature in the navigation system to force it away from the bad route.
    • In all vehicles except Ioniq 6, it doesn't take charging time into account, nor does it show expected arrival/departure SoCs.
    But once on the road, it actually works pretty well. It will automatically change routes and charging stops as needed if conditions change. It keeps a maximum of four charging stops in the queue, but as you stop at each one, it will automatically add new charging stops on at the end of the queue, so you don't have to worry about it.

Hyundai's next-generation infotainment system, debuting in the 2024 Kona Electric and Kia EV9 launching later this year, will finally deliver a much more competent and cohesive EV route-planning solution.

7. To remove this ad click here.