Hyundai E-GMP Platform

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Dec 1, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. This is a big step forward for Hyundai (Global Modular Platform):
    https://insideevs.com/news/457773/hyundai-introduces-electricglobal-modular-platform-egmp/
    Features include :
    18 minute recharge (to 80%) using 800 V charging on a 350 kW charger
    Integrated charging control ( 800 v/ 400 V) and bidirectional
    VTL (vehicle to load) 3.5 kW @110/220 V
    Most power dense battery Hyundai Motor Group has ever created
    Switching between 2 and all wheel drive
    Improved power inverter for the traction motors
    Be sure to watch the presentation (use CC unless you speak Korean) a lot more details.
    Sounds like a winner, looks great Hyundai!:)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    mho, lars2885 and Domenick like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. But can they make a 12v battery system that can reliable start this technical tour de force? :)

Fastnf and Domenick like this.
  4. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I'm sure there must be a way, mine works fine though.

5. There's a lot of interesting information in this presentation. I would have liked to hear more about weight reduction but the new platform is definitely something I look forward to. Automotive News reports (paywall, sorry) that the e-GMP platform is intended for C-segment and larger, so bigger than the Kona. The first vehicle it will support will be the Ioniq 5, a midsize crossover that will launch next year. It will be followed in 2022 by an equivalent Kia. Performance announced includes 0-100 km/h in under 3.5 sec. and a top speed of 260 km/h, presumably thanks to its higher speed motor. The platform includes 5-link rear suspension, so it should ride like a Mercedes!

Eddy, do I remember you from csportcoupe?

6. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Looks like they may be doing the Zoe trick of using motor windings as part of a boost converter to charge 800v from a 400V charger

electriceddy and Fastnf like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

An interesting still showing a type 2 plug with an AC socket in the back for the power-out option
    hyplug.png

Fastnf and lars2885 like this.
  9. I am sure the flat floor contribution is achieved by utilizing the new low height cell format (550 mm long) as opposed to the present E63 configuration
    (125mm x 325mm). Can't seem to locate any info about energy density etc at this time. LG Chem has created it's "spin off" company - LG Energy Solution earlier this week and web reference is not found yet to provide. Give it a bit of time I guess.
    I am also impressed at the statement in the presentation 100km with a 5 minute charge utilizing the 800V charge rate, which pretty much puts it on par with fossil fuels filling time, providing you can find an 800 V charger:rolleyes:
    I am guessing that the battery pack coolant would not have to be the $ low conductive type as it is now separated in the cooling block structure.

mho, Fastnf and lars2885 like this.
  10. Here's another change - better integration of the motor and gear reducer eliminating the redundant 4th bearing and IMO without doubt, the possibility of the clicking problem. Their image with my annotations ...

Hyundai-E-GMP-EV-platform-reveal-10.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  11. I believe most Electrify America charging spots have a 350 kW charger or several, which I believe are 800 volts. Not sure who, if any, also have chargers with this much output. We have a guy from ChargePoint on the Podcast tomorrow, so I'll try to remember to ask him about it.

Fastnf and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I checked on Plugshare and EVGo and EVconect have a few (5) in California. A dozen or so in Texas and few in Florida but that about it. Really it is primarily Electrify America (and Canada) and Petro Canda that have a fairly decent coverage.