How many with an SE on order also own a Tesla?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Matt Shumaker, Mar 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Matt Shumaker

Matt Shumaker Active Member

As the title asks; how many of you also own a Tesla (or any other EV)?

We own a 2018 Model 3 and a 2014 Smart Electric Drive.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Do you use your Smart more than your Model 3? I worry that because all our trips are in town, our Clarity Plug-In Hybrid will waste away (well, the brake rotors will get rusty) after we get our MINI Cooper SE. We have yet to have anyone post on this forum that they have received the MINI Cooper SE they ordered.

4. Matt Shumaker

Matt Shumaker Active Member

I drive the model 3 160 miles per day for work. The smart electric drive is for our teenage son to use daily. The Mini Cooper will be used by my wife daily and by myself in the evenings and weekends for fun and to shoot videos for my YouTube channel. We were told we would take delivery of our car by the end of this month. We actually have a car assigned to us that is in port in New York right now.

insightman likes this.
  5. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

Own a 2013 Tesla S85 and 2018 Smart ED (newer chassis than 2014, was also an original owner of the 2013 Smart ED, which I traded for the 2018).
    Am absolutely interested in the Mini SE.
    Local dealers here in Ontario Canada near Toronto have the initial spec (white with yellow accent) only, no variation unfortunately, and only 1 at each dealer.
    Test drives not yet available, the car is inside in the show room.

6. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

My wife drives a Dual Motor 3. When she bought it, she worked 25 miles from our home, a quick 30 minute reverse commute out of Montrose, Houston, but she hated having to fill up weekly, often at odd hours, with the urban campers and charitable donation collectors circling. So, among its many other virtues, the forever-full tank (with at home L2 charging) was a huge benefit.

I, too, have a 31 mile reverse commute, and I'm going to give the SE a shot. With the Mini's actual Rmax showing 125 to 170ish miles, I think 62 miles a day should keep my charge between 90 and 30%, the sweet spot for the Tesla and, so, probably a good practice for the Mini.

Ironically, my wife now works downtown, about 2 miles away. The Mini would be perfect for her, and the TM3 would completely eliminate any range anxiety I might have. I guess we'll have to see how she likes the Mini before I propose a trade...

SmartElectric likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Norbu72

Norbu72 Active Member

My wife is driving a 2014 Honda Accord hybrid and I’m currently driving a 2018 Audi A3 e-Tron. The e-tron barely gets by as an EV if I plug in at work every morning and I’ve managed to do 90% of my around town trips on battery power. In the two years I’ve owned it I’ve only filled the tank 5 times. My wife’s taking the A3 when my Mini arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. idrw

idrw Member

I used to have a red 2016 A3 E-tron and loved it. It was unique, sporty, well proportioned and stood out from the crowd. Got totaled last year or rather was too expensive to get repaired from what appeared to be a minor ding to its side according to the at fault insurance provider. I was able to squeeze 17-20 miles from it and drove nearly 50,000 miles in the 2.5 years we had it. Still miss the beauty. Hopefully the MINI can make up for it.

In b/w, did you get your production number?

10. Norbu72

Norbu72 Active Member

I too love my A3. The dealership is looking into it. Supposed to get back to me today. *fingers crossed*

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

idrw likes this.
  11. Curious if anyone who has a SE and a Tesla has them insured together in California with Tesla insurance? I just called to get a quote and the agent told me the Mini Cooper SE isn't in their "system"...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member