How many miles on your Mini SE?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by yoomini, Mar 7, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

Hi folks. Sorry if this has already been posted, I didn't see it when I searched.

Curious to know how many miles you all have put on your Mini SE? Who has the highest mileage Mini SE in this forum?

Additionally, what has been your experience with battery degradation/reduction in range thus far?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Had it just over 3 months and have done 1,300 miles so about 400 miles per month.

Certainly haven’t noticed any degradation in this kind of timescale, got over 130 miles of range last week at 70mph in mild weather…

Nav and yoomini like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm at 31,500 miles. Had mine since August 2020, put about 85 miles per weekday on it. So I'm also putting the charge cycle of the batteries to a good test. No hint of degradation.

Update: I've had my SE for just shy of 19 months.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Urbanengineer, MichaelC and yoomini like this.
  6. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

19 months, 19,000 miles. No perceptible battery degradation.

Urbanengineer, MichaelC and yoomini like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

I’ve had mine for just under 3 months and I’ve covered 750 miles. Obviously no degradation at this point.

yoomini likes this.
  9. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like @Puppethead has the highest mileage so far at 31.5k.

I'll likely be putting 15-20k miles a year on mine when it arrives, so it's nice to hear that the degradation on the i3 was only ~4% after 83k miles.

10. teslarati97

It's a trade off between degradation and max range/acceleration with battery styles and chemistry. The 4.23% loss is the actual degradation, but it's probably buffered in the actual usable kWh so there will be little to no perceived range loss.

yoomini likes this.
  11. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

As of today, I have slightly more miles than I did yesterday.

revorg likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

pictsidhe, moncureww and yoomini like this.
  14. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

1925 miles after 2 months.

yoomini likes this.
  15. teslarati97

Both the MINI and 94Ah i3/i3s are using the same NCM 333 chemistry to achieve close to 398.4V. Samsung SDI is 12 cells per module and CATL is 8 cells per module (16 for a double module). Both have 96 cells with the MINI at (2x8)+(5x16) and the i3 at 12x8. The closest dimensional comparative I can think of is VHS cassette vs Betamax for the cells.

Rexsio likes this.
  16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

But even if they use the same chemistry, aren't there other design variables like anode size? The quality of manufacturing beween companies might vary, too.

17. teslarati97

Yes anode size (i.e. copper sheet size) could play a factor. In the earlier 60Ah i3 batteries I believe they would stack the electrodes like sheets of paper (similar to pouch style) but the 94Ah switched to a tighter packed compressed roll of toilet paper.

The "A" sample testing was about 4,600 cycles to max 80% SOC retention for the Samsung SDI 94Ah so I would imagine the CATL ones should perform similar. If you want to play it safe just say 2,500 cycles, 28.9kWh usable and efficiency at 3.5mi/kWh. That would end up being 252,875 miles before you get to end of life at 80% of the original capacity.

18. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

250k+ miles before range drops to 91 miles? I hope you are right.

19. teslarati97

I have yet to hear anyone cry about their Hyundai Palisade's fuel economy dropping from 19MPG in the city to 15.2MPG (20% drop in range) after 30,000 miles let alone any other ICE vehicle. Many parts of the world pay over $7.50USD/gal for petrol, so no big deal if it's over $4USD/gal.

20. CorgiCanoe

CorgiCanoe Member

Good point. My Prius that started out getting 50 MPG now gets 43 MPG if I'm lucky/careful at 78,000 miles.

21. yoomini

yoomini Active Member

This gave me a chuckle. Do non-hybrid ICE vehicles even have this sort of degradation in efficiency? If so, I've never experienced it. I was getting 25 mpg on my Honda Accord at mile 1 and at mile 175,000.

22. teslarati97

It's unclear if the hybrid battery can offset the physical wear and tear on the ICE engine. Winters in the colder northern states have a bigger impact regardless. No data on the upper 1 state (Alaska) or middle 1 (Hawaii) but we have some data for the lower 48.

23. marquesareed

marquesareed New Member

Sure. ICE vehicles with high miles don't make near the power that they do when they are new. It may not show up as a large decrease in fuel economy, but it certainly would when you're trying to pass, towing or any other activity that involves higher loads.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Urbanengineer likes this.