How dealership shenanigans are a boon to Chinese imports

Discussion in 'General' started by Jim Matthews, Apr 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Given the obvious contempt legacy dealerships display toward us EV buyers, has this opened the door to Chinese imports?

How many of us would jump at a chance to order a reasonably priced EV from a new (to us) maker just to avoid the run around at Ford, KIA and GM resellers that add cost, to no benefit.

It's my impression that in North America, vehicle warranties are effectively useless anyway.
    There are no EV replacement parts, even if you could find a trained tech with available space.

https://www.sfweekly.com/news/wholl-fix-your-electric-car/

https://www.reddit.com/r/volt/comments/pocosd/volt_in_shop_indefinitely/

https://www.reddit.com/r/volt/comments/t0rggl/apparently_some_gen1_parts_are_not_available_at/

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/24/electric-vehicle-parts-service/

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I would add the corrupt, Southeast Toyota Region. They operate the Jacksonville FL dock and no Toyota leaves without them adding useless add-on. Worse, they have been anti-hybrid and efficient small cars (aka., Echo) in the past.

Bob Wilson

4. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I'm not sure I would call these things "shenanigans". The supply chain parts issue is not just an EV issue, and it's nor particular to any brand. I had it happen to me too with a part for my Bolt. Had to wait 3 weeks for a part. It certainly isn't going to push me to buy a Chinese car. No way.

Clamps likes this.
  5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Which electric car doesn't have a radiator?

Once self-driving cars become available, will we really need to own and service a vehicle?

gooki and Jim Matthews like this.
  6. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

I'm on a few US based forums, and I cant believe some of the **** buyers put up with from dealers.

Everything from price coughing, hidden costs, confiscating car keys, being locked in the dealership office and so many more stories.

EVs level the playing field. It gives China the ability to compete on quality/reliability.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm looking forward to the Native Americans opening EV service and sales shops ... 'the Indian's revenge.'

Bob Wilson

Frank K likes this.
  9. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Electric cars give other countries, namely
    China, the ability to compete on a new level playing field which they couldn’t with gas engines. The barrier to entry for EV is much lower.
    It reminds me of CRT tv’s being a mainly Japanese thing eventually, with cheap badge branded stuff coming from Korea. The s’more and just couldn’t catch up and switched to flat panels even though they were very expensive at the time. Due to those high prices most of the big brands stayed away (eg Sony) as there weren’t enough customers for them. And look how that worked out, the leaders in flat panel tv’s are now the Koreans and most of the Japanese companies are out of the TV game or are barely hanging on.
    It all feels very familiar…
    I’d have no hesitation buying a Chinese EV once the shakeout ensures the company is here to stay. I waited to buy our Tesla until they had gotten through manufacturing help and turned a profit.

gooki likes this.
  10. Personally I would rather have Renault sell their EV’s in the US and some of the other Euro brands.

11. Clamps likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ITown

ITown Active Member

Absolutely. The dealership markups pushed me away from the dealerships and towards companies that don't engage in mark-ups.

Hello, Polestar. (Chinese import!)