Honda Clarity PHEV 2018

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by fujitora12, May 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fujitora12

fujitora12 New Member

Is this a problem that only I'm having? It's really inconvenient; the car will suddenly refuse to start, and while driving, it will say "remote starter not detected" and remain on the road the entire time. I have to replace the round battery approximately every four weeks if I don't want to have this problem. This is something I've never had to do previously with any vehicle. Is this a well-known problem? Thank you for any suggestions.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I vaguely recall replacing the battery in my fob once in the four years I've had the car. Where did you buy the batteries? If you bought them on Amazon, they're often long-expired crap. Batteries do not hold a charge forever, and when that bulk-purchased crate has been sitting on a hot warehouse shelf for years...

laptop and neal adkins like this.
  4. Francofun

Francofun Member

Definitely not normal. Does it do the same thing with both keys? Even cheap batteries should give you many months…

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Inside EVs

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Think it's just you. As noted above, is it both fobs? If you watch the fob perhaps a button is sticking thus draining the battery?

6. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

I also have a 2018, but I don't know if it is unique to that model year. However, when that same thing happened to me a year or so ago I discovered that it was the second fob that my wife carries in her purse that needed a new battery. The car seems to see a low battery in any fob in the car, not just the one that is actually on line, and puts up an alert.

So, you might want to change batteries in BOTH fobs and see what happens. Once I did that, I didn't have any more alerts about low batteries in the fob.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Do you leave your keys close to the car? I had that problem once soon after buying the car in January '19. I had left the fob hanging in the garage wall near the car for "convenience" after I forgot to grab my keys from their usual storage site upstairs at my home office and had to climb 3 flights of stairs in a hurry (very tall townhouse). I suspected the battery was drained just by being close to the car overnight since it was somehow constantly "communicating" with it. I replaced the battery and brought the fob up back to the office, no more trouble ever. The other fob still has its original battery from the factory, believe it or not. On the other hand, your problem could also be a stuck key.

9. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

This is likely the issue. I have no issues with my Clarity because it has the far spot in my garage, but my Leaf has the closer spot. I hang the keys on hooks just inside the garage door, but the Leaf keys I have to hang further inside the house because the batteries were draining way too fast as a result of constantly 'chatting' with the car.

10. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem. I think the FOB takes a CR2032 or similar. I bought a multi-pack at Amazon that sits in my garage. When my battery died, I replaced it from a "stale" pack and got the same problem a few weeks later. We have a chain in Oregon called batteries plus-- must have more turn-over in product. Went in there, had the person install a new battery for me, worked fine.

Batteries even brand new on shelf still in package expire. So it all depends how old the battery is.

neal adkins likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wonder why @fujitora12 would send a non-secure URL without any other kind of information? Maybe it leads to an explanation about why the Honda Clarity PHEV starts up its ICE to use up regen braking energy if the battery is already fully charged. Maybe it explains how to stretch the battery to provide 100 EV miles. Maybe it tells how people in India are so desperate for Clarity PHEVs that they'll pay $50K for them. Guess I'll never know.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2022
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sorry, a spammer got through. It's taken care of.

DaleL and insightman like this.