Honda Care (extended warranty) - how much to pay? before factory warranty expires

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by hanman, Jul 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hanman

hanman Member

I own a 2018 Clarity and the standard 3 years - 36,000 miles warranty is about to expire in 2 months. Because of Covid I only have about 11,000 miles on the car after 2 years and 10 months of usage.

- How much is an acceptable/decent cost for a Honda Care extended warranty? I live in the midwest (Wisconsin).
    - How much are people willing to pay or have already paid for their Honda Clarity extended warranty?

I am asking because I heard on this forum that the PHEV is being discontinued and I love my car. So I want to keep it for as long as I can.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

You can buy the Honda Care service contract* from any authorised Honda dealership, so ideally you should buy from the dealership that will offer you the best price.
    Many owners cite College Hills Honda as their go-to for purchasing a Honda Care service contract because they offer better prices. One owner recently cited paying ~$1,300 for Honda Care from College Hills Honda.

Cheers

gedwin likes this.
  4. The standard dealers to buy Hondacare from (or get a quote and have your dealer match) if you are not in Florida or California (where apparently the law classifies Hondacare as insurance, so can't be sold by these dealers from out of state without the state license) are
    • College Hills Honda,
    • Saccucchi Honda, and
    • Hyannis Honda

All are Brick and Mortar dealers who have found that they can make more on volume selling the plans nationally than they make on selling a few with high markup.

5. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Add in an extra 125.00. Sometimes they require an inspection by a honda dealer to find current condition even if within warranty. Many times you can get price from out of state dealer and encourage local dealer to match. Clincher...After all, local dealer gets the work!

6. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Yep, this is one of those things the wisdom of this forum saves you big time. I bought my 8 year I think 120,000 miles (it was the max permitted for $1550 from Hyannis. As others have mentioned, once you have HondaCare (the real one, not local dealer one), you can take your car to any Honda dealer for repair. I'm in Oregon so didn't have any problems buying it out of state. My local dealer quoted me more than double the cost for the exact same thing. When I mentioned I could buy out of state for less (and asked them to match price) they said no way. So yeah, this is one of those things to shop for (using one of the ones mentioned in this thread most likely).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. John Schwab

John Schwab New Member

When I bought my 2021 base model Clarity (from a dealer in Old Bridge, NJ), I got pressured to buy Honda Care that day, and they had me paying $3400 + tax for 7 years/100K miles with $100 deductible. I subsequently did my research, realized that I’d been taken for a ride, and canceled that contract. Yesterday I bought the same contract, but with zero deductible, for $1220, from Hyannis Honda. I can’t say enough good things about Sean Rausch at Hyannis. Absolutely no b.s.

9. I went with the warranty sold by www.CurryHondaCare.com since they offered quotes for California cars. The dealers mentioned above did not. The quote for the 8 year 100,000 mile Honda Care Plan was $1454. I asked my local dealer to match it and they did. Their original offer when I bought the car was over $3000.

10. hanman

hanman Member

@BrianRC, @Dan Albrich, @Sthomasa, @JustAnotherPoorDriver, and @Pooky thanks a million for the info.
    I got a quote grid from Saccucchi Honda, and just like many suggested I want to give my local dealer a chance to match it so that I can keep the money local.
    But if they don't then I can do Saccucchi's - I got quoted 60Month/100,000miles $1389 since my car only has less than 12,000 miles. The most expensive was for 60month/120,000 for $1569.

Thanks again to all for the info - I will update you all on how it goes on Monday when I contact the local dealer or end up buying the Saccucchi's.

11. hanman

hanman Member

@John Schwab thanks for sharing your story. How where you able to cancel the old extended warranty? was it within 60 days?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. John Schwab

John Schwab New Member

Yes. It was only about a week or so after I bought the car and the original exorbitantly priced contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. Remember that these warranties are transferrable when you sell your car. So if you sell your Clarity after 3 or 4 years, the new owner will inherit the 3 or 4 years of remaining warranty with a big chunk of miles which should significantly enhance the resale value.

15. Loveithateit

Loveithateit New Member

HondaCare will pro-rate a refund for the amount not used if you sell the car.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  16. DennisH

DennisH New Member

As I understand it, the downside to HondaCare is they only pay for covered work done at a Honda dealer. If you travel out west through remote states on vacation, as I do, that's not a great situation. Talking to the business manager at my local Honda dealer, he also said HondaCare doesn't cover shocks, struts and tie-rods. He actually recommended a CNA National plan, which covers those items, and if you encounter problems on the road they directly reimburse most any licensed repair facility in the country. Also covers meals and lodging up to a point while getting repairs done. He listed the names of all the guys at the Honda dealer who carry the CNA extended warranty. I'm in the same situation as the original poster of this thread, altho I'm coming up on my 36,000 mile limit at the same time as my 3 yr deadline in August. I'm looking at a 5 yr, 60,000 mile warranty extension, so I appreciate hearing about national Honda dealers who will give a good deal.

Arcee likes this.
  17. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

I appreciate the discussion here, and the options suggested.
    I have a more global question, though. Consumer Reports, AARP, and many other independent organizations recommend against buying extended warranties.
    I would like to hear the reasons you-all are planning to buy them, as my car is approaching the end of the Honda warranty. Keeping in mind that this is a car I use 80% of the time in electric only mode, and the big battery & drive train warranties are longer than the 36 months.

RickH and hanman like this.
  18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

When I found out the Clarity's infotainment system head unit was more expensive than an extended warranty, I bought the extended warranty. However, the extended warranty for my battery-powered MINI Cooper would have cost double the price of Honda's extended warranty, so I didn't get one for that car.

neal adkins and hanman like this.
  19. hanman

hanman Member

@Jim1960 and @DennisH
    I just purchased a 60 months (starting from today) 100K miles Honda Care extended warranty from https://www.saccuccihondacare.com/ - cost is about $1400 - so about $300 per year.
    I did it because I love the car and I want to keep it for as long as I can and as long as the propulsion battery will last.
    I figured I will not be driving for more than 20K miles per year so I am covered. I picked the numbers to line up with the 8 years 100 K original battery coverage.
    So now I know that on July 13, 2026 - All my warranties will expire.
    I needed the piece of mind to know that the Air conditioner, compressor, heater, tablet (info tainment system), and all the gizmos are covered. I was willing to pay $300 per year for that. I also figured that if things don't fail in the first 5 years, then the chance is high that they will never fail.
    That is why I bought the extended warranty.
    Did I say that I love the car :)

dnb likes this.
  20. MeSandy

MeSandy Member

Does it depend on current condition/mileage of the car? I am having 2020 and just 5500 Miles on it and considering the Extended warranty. BTW: What will happen if the required part is not produced by Honda, does extended warranty help? Also, what is(are) the major items not covered by extended warranty?

21. hanman

hanman Member

@MeSandy I think the only condition was that the car is still under the factory warranty - In my case it was less than 36 months and less than 36,000 miles. Pretty much covers what the original warranty did. Minus all wear and tear items (tires, brakes, shocks, etc..).

Attached Files:

22. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Did you actually read any of this in the warranties themselves?
    Not saying your dealer would lie to sell a higher profit product, but it has been known to happen....

JustAnotherPoorDriver and hanman like this.
  23. Annwn

Annwn Member

The general consensus over the years has seemed to be that it's a fairly low cost to pay annually for what is covered. Unlike many aftermarket extended warranties, the extended warranty for Honda doesn't have outright gotcha's or bad-faith payees to deal with. It is also a pretty acceptable price for most people given the cost of replacing almost any item in the vehicle. The - don't buy extended warranty - mantra that is the usual advice given isn't bad advice, it just has seemed less applicable to the cost of HondaCare for the Clarity. Some of the other arguments for the extended warranty I've seen include - sheer amount of systems/tech in Clarity, that it actually has some unique tech not found in other vehicles, low model production & not a good grasp on potential failures (ie AC is a good example - part alone is like $800 and what if Honda hadn't extended coverage?), that there are almost no aftermarket parts available for the Clarity's unique bits. Insurance is about mitigating risk, and there are hundreds of things on the Clarity that run the risk of being more to fix/replace than the warranty's cost. Thus - lots of Clarity owners that are in an above average knowledge bracket vs the general population typically on all sorts of things tend to consider the extended warranty. I mean, the longest option with $0 deductible - $1500 or so seems pretty cheap to take a vehicle to 8yrs/120k minus some wear items & with nationwide dealer coverage.