Home Solar and charging the EV

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lee Vining, Oct 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lee Vining

Lee Vining New Member

USA
    512 homes in our tract and about 1/3 of us have solar power and most of those have EV's.

I asked around and it seems everyone had issues with their solar installation with various contractors.
    From not installed as planned, took too long, a half dozen sub-contractors for one job all pointing the finger at each other for unresolved issues, not working, still getting an electric bill, and a half dozen other complaints.

So what the hey, we went with Tesla. 6 months into the install we still don't have the PTO. The PTO is the Permit To Operate and exchange our excess power for credit or cash from the electric company.
    On a straight up sunny day the max our 9.6 KW system generates is 7.6 KW.

Dealing with Tesla has been Orwellian. Customer service is non existent and Tesla feels real good about that.
    I'll get back to it if things ever get better.

[​IMG]

Our EV6 loves to take a charge like a cat loves to be petted.
    The Emporia wall charger handles up to a whopping 48 AMPs. ($299 Amazon but it's gone up in price since).

On the Emporia app their is a slide scale and if it's a rainy/cloudy day with low solar you can simply slide down the charge. Last storm we charged at 24 AMPS and still the solar charged the power bank, ran the house and charged the EV6. If we had the PTO we probably could have gone the full 48 AMPs.

[​IMG]

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Lee Vining

Lee Vining New Member

USA
    Finally got our PTO.
    Also an electric bill only a $45 credit on it.

Net cost of the system was $22.000, and we've already saved over $1800 in electricity according to the Tesla app.
    That's not figuring in gasoline savings with our EV. A big bonus.

Wife drives just about 100 miles a day. In 6 months that's ample savings.

I did another round trip to Las Vegas this past week.
    Left with a 310 mil charge and used the free Electrify America Chargers to and from.

A few more chargers available in route, and few upgraded chargers as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]