Home L2 Charging Issues

Discussion in 'General' started by Brademcee, Feb 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brademcee

Brademcee New Member

So I am having issues charing my brand new Ford Mustang Mach-e (MME) AWD extended range. Here is my situation. Let me know your thoughts and why this may be happening or any suggestions.

1). 240V Nema 1450 Outlet
    +Been successfully charging my Tesla Model 3 for two years with no issues at all.
    +On 2/25 trained EV Electrician has confirmed that the 240V outlet tests fine at the plug. It is on a 50-amp breaker and includes red/black hot and white netural (6 gauge cable) and a green ground with 10 gauge. Everything also tested perfect at the breaker panel. Again, I have had NO issue with other vehicles.

2). Tested both a Juice Box Pro 40 (previous gen) and the included Ford Mobile Charger with the NEMA 1450 adapter
    +When connected to the car, within 2 seconds an audible click can be heard from the charger (especially on the Ford Mobile Charger and when it first connected to the car a very tiny red LED on Ford Mobile Charger with Blue LEDS is seen and after a split second it turns all blue).
    +Charging Port on vehicle shows white LEDs ring lit up based on the charge level. After about 30 seconds, charge port LEDs turn off.
    +With doors locked and car off, no charge is passing through the 240V (works fine for 110)
    +Through the Sync infotainment sytem in the car and Ford Pass App, location is set to manual charge when plugged in.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. If I power on the car, it starts to charge with the 240V but only at less then 2 Amps and less then 1 (KW). If I stay in the car now, it keeps charging at this snail pass rate (which is an issue). However, once I exit the car, after a 15-30 seconds it drops back down to 0 currents. Same is true if I unplug and replug the charger when outside the car. It is like the MME internal charger is telling the chargers not to charge when given an L2 charge. I have confirmed no charging schedules or departure schedules exist in the MME or Ford Pass App. It is set to charge now.

I find it really hard to believe this is an issue with my electric. Any thoughts or suggestions? I feel like I have a $60K paper weight in the garage.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Tell us how the "warranty" works out.

Bob Wilson

4. D

Sounds like a car issue and not a charger (EVSE) issue. Have you tried charging on 120 volt? Also some Mach E owners have had trouble with the Ford charger because the adapter plug was not fully seated in the charger. They reported difficulties getting adapter plug fully inserted the last little bit into the charger. You might verify that as well.

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Check to see if the car charges on a public L2 charger. If it doesn't, then take the car into the dealership to get it fixed.

If you have to go to the dealership, let us know what they find.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Brademcee

Brademcee New Member

That was my thought too. It does charge on standard 110 outlet so I know I am inserting the charger into the port all the way. Something to do with the communication between the car, L2 charger and my electrical current. Very strange.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Chargepoint and I think it was the Honda Clarity that had issues to start with. I would try a different L2 ESVE to verify it is a Juicebox and Ford communication issue.

If the car charges on a different EVSE, then contact Juicebox as I doubt Ford is going to do anything for you.

9. Brademcee

Brademcee New Member

So I am happy to report that I got the Mach-E to charge from my L2 Home charger from my 240V outlet. I took it to the dealer but I do not believe they did anything. The salesman ended up driving another Mach-E behind me to my house so we can test both vehicles. When we got here, we hooked up the EVSE to my car. It did not charge. He then hit the unlock button on the charge port and that seemed to wake up the car's charger again and all of a sudden it started to charge. I swear I have done that before but I guess he had the magic touch. I have since learned that if its not communicating with the EVSE to hit the unlock button on the charge port which seems to send a message to the car charger and corrects any charging issues (guessing this may be a small bug). I guess the pains of being an early adopter of a new EV on the street. Ignore the Tesla sign. This car replaced my 3 year old Model 3. More EVs on the road is good for everyone and our planet.

IMG_0705.jpeg