Home charging circuitry

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Dale Dallas, May 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dale Dallas

Dale Dallas New Member

What size circuit breaker should my 220v cable have for charging my Niro EV?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I had an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage with a 50 amp breaker. My current and previous EVs only needed 32 amps. I left space for future expansion.

I use a plug-in EVSE with adjustable current of 16, 24, or 32 amps. I usually set it to 24 unless I'm in a hurry to charge.

4. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

Same for me. Keep in mind that you may need heavier wiring for 50 amps.

5. Dale Dallas

Dale Dallas New Member

Thanks, Robert…

6. Dale Dallas

Dale Dallas New Member

Yes…and probably at least 8 gauge, more likely 6 gauge wire

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

Reality: You charge at home overnight. Kia pak is typical 64000Wh. So assuming you actually take it down to 20% and want 100% when you are done, let look at time using simple math.

64000 * .8 = 51200/(charge watt/hours) = Time.

This is simplified so, actual times vary slightly longer in general, rounding tie up, blah blah

IMPORTANT: Breakers are rated to run at 80% continuous, so your charging amps must reflect continuous load.
    Breaker = Wire Size = Amps = Watts = Time

Typical Level 1 110-120VAC charger is set for:
    15A breaker = 14AWG = 12A charge = 1200W = 43 hours

Level 2 / 220-240VAC
    20A breaker = 12AWG = 16A charge = 3600W = 15 hours
    30A breaker = 10AWG = 24A charge = 5600W = 10 hours
    40A breaker = 8AWG = 32A charge = 7200W = 7 hours
    50A breaker = 6AWG = 40A charge = 9600W = 6 hours

As you go up you get rapidly diminishing reductions in time. but make sure your charger matches your breaker. A 40A charger needs a 50A breaker. As that AWG number goes down the cost of the wire goes up quite a bit, and it is harder and harder to work with, and your panel really needs to support it.

I have a single 30 amp circuit (24A charger) that I use for two EV's (Niro & Kona) without grief. I have an old 150A panel, and had put in a split breaker15-30/30-15 and ran a 240/30 to my garage when I did some re-modeling around 9 years ago on an NEMA 14-30 socket. Commonly used for an oven or dryer.

Unless you are driving > 150mi/day and are only at home for a few hours a night, you will be quite satisfied with a smaller circuit. We generally just trade places in the garage on the weekends and charge (Time of Use) once a week.

Check with your electrician, you need to have the amps at your panel.