Hissing AC?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Bahrieinn, Apr 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bahrieinn

Bahrieinn New Member

I have a 2019 Kia Niro EV I believe with the winter package (with heat pump) and the AC is the loudest I've ever heard in any car. Normal ACs in other cars are loud from just wind blowing, but this almost sounds like a mist being forced out of a crack in a straw or something.

Is the high pitch hissing noise normal for AC on this car, or is there something wrong with mine?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

I have the 2019 also and have not noted that the AC is at all loud...

4. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

I also have a 2019 model with the cold weather heat pump and my AC is whisper quiet.

5. Bahrieinn

Bahrieinn New Member

Took a video this morning to show hissing the sound

Does this sound anything like yours?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  6. You need to go to the dealer, absolutely not normal.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. IanM

IanM New Member

Sounds like a dried leaf fluttering in the ventilation.

9. I hear no flutter, just a constant high frequency hiss

10. Bahrieinn

Bahrieinn New Member

Unclear if it's related but the AC also seems barely cold even when set to the coolest setting. It has been in the high 70s where I am lately and we've opted to open the windows because the AC just isn't cooling the cabin at all. I've gone into the EV settings to change the AC to "normal" from "eco" (or whatever the energy-saving mode is) and it made no difference.

I made an appointment with a Kia service dept to diagnose in about two weeks - hopefully they can find/fix the issue.

11. Bahrieinn

Bahrieinn New Member

To close the loop on this thread - brought it into a dealer and they found that the A/C system was totally empty due to an A/C line leak. They replaced the radiator and A/C line (all covered under warranty) and everything is back to normal now. The A/C actually blows cold air (quietly) now!

techydude and jeff_h like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jordan Corrigan

Jordan Corrigan New Member

Did they find the source of the leak? I've had this happen to me twice and both dealerships have claimed that they can't find a leak.