High registration fees?!

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by dotori, Oct 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dotori

dotori Member

Just placed an order for a base model SE with roof racks from Mini of Portland and they're adding additional fees. I was wondering if anyone else had problems with high registration fees and add-ons?

I told them I don't want any extra add-ons or warranties (warranty, gap, clearmask) but couldn't remove the "Dealer Prep Turbo Cord". He said it includes 3m chip protection on door edge/door cups, perma plate exterior and interior sealant application. I thought it included a 240 bolt charger but the email he just sent me doesn't say it includes that.

A processing fee of 115?

Registration fees for 1295.50? There was no other doc fees so, I'm guessing they're charging a high amount of doc fees?

I just bought my mom a brand new '22 outback and her registration fees were 250-ish and 150 for doc fees. According to the state of Oregon, EV registration fees are higher than ICE cars but the fee schedule only shows it being a couple hundred higher. Not sure if I'm missing anything with the registration fees. With the 2 overcharges, I feel like I'm getting overcharged 1500 dollars-ish. Has anyone had any luck changing dealerships after an order has been placed and doing it over email until the car gets delivered? I could fly up to Seattle, visit a couple friends and drive down to Portland with the new car. Only a few hour drive and I have to go up to see people anyways. I'm fine paying MSRP but hate this dealership add-ons. As much as I don't like Elon, he did incredible things with the EV space and getting rid of dealerships. They might raise prices but at least they're more transparent about these things.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Nick Hardigg likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I bought mine from MINI of Portland back in June, I'll dig through my paperwork when I get home and compare but I definitely didn't have any permaplate or interior sealant stuff.

I do have the clear film on the door edge and behind the handle but I don't think they charged me for it...

Nick Hardigg and dotori like this.
  4. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Here's the itemized charges:

Screenshot_20211025-163134_Gallery.png

I can't say I had a great experience with MINI of Portland but most was because of my "Motoring Advisor". He was completely wrong about a lot of what he told me. I missed out on 1.9% financing because he said they could "lock me in" without pulling my credit. I caught multiple errors on my build sheet and had to call multiple times before he'd find time to get back to me a week later. He told me they didn't/couldn't put the paint protection film on the front bumper. And when I picked up the car it didn't have the trunk mat or the short antenna I had requested...

But overall it could have been worse. The car was charged when I picked it up and the finance guy wasn't pushy at all.

5. dotori

dotori Member

Thanks for that! Yea they said they couldn't remove the dealer prep which is 100 dollars more for me. And they're chargning me 400 dollars more in registration fees as well. I'm going to call the mini dealership in seattle to see if they could get me the car for msrp.

Nick Hardigg likes this.
  6. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Wow, now I feel better about the $499 "administrative" fee Lyon-Waugh charged me, which I thought was excessive at the time.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

I got a break in my Michigan registration fee , my title says it's a 4-door ice car.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My dealer didn't screw up the title so I pay $135 extra per year in Michigan--including something called an "Electric Gas Tax Fee!"
    Empty weight of 8,000 pounds or less: $135 ($100.00 Electric Fee + $35.00 Electric Gas Tax Fee)

Our Clarity PHEV costs only $47 extra, including a $17 "Hybrid Gas Tax Fee"

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  10. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

In Ohio it's $200 for BEVs and $100 for hybrid. Since I transfered tags I didn't look to see how mine was classified.

11. Greencarguy

Greencarguy New Member

California definitely has higher registration fees to make up for lost revenue at the pump. Gas is $4.75 here! I was in dire need of a car so I bought a Mini Cooper SE that someone canceled on. I definitely had an unnecessary charge for a theft recovery thing and an interior anti-microbial treatment, which of course I didn’t want, but they were already done. I wiggled the prices down a bit, but ultimately got the car that I wanted (minus the nicer stereo as they are out due to chip shortage). It is an island blue color with tri-color roof (upcharge), which I initially didn’t like but it has since really grown on me. I never feel good leaving a dealer. They shouldn’t be charging you for a charge cable, because I believe that comes with it.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The tri-color roof is part of the Electric Collection package so you paid for the package, not the roof. However, I'd like to know how the dealer split the charging cable out of the factory's list of included items so they could charge you for it separately. The other add-ons are typical dealer wallet extractions and I don't know how much price wiggling you accomplished, but I'd complain to MINI USA about charging for the charging cable.

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood you and you were talking about the upcharge for the Electric Collection package. That's the only way you can get that nice Island Blue. It's not available with non-Electric Collection SEs.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

SE comes with a 120 V Level 1 charger, the mythical TurboCord never materialized.

15. dotori

dotori Member

The "dealer prep" fee is apparently for permaplate (whatever that is...), 3m door cups and edges, and the turbo chord. They're also charging me 400 dollars more than the other person in the same state for registration... I went to Oregons website and did the math and it should be around 700 dollars for registration.

Nick Hardigg likes this.
  16. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

I have to say my dealer was a breeze. The best part was they had a plate already installed on pick up. I'm so glad I didn't have that stupid sticker on my window.

17. @Puppethead, is this the replacement for the TurboCord ? ->

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Puppethead likes this.
  18. Puppethead

Something better, this is a full EVSE that will go up to 11 kW. This looks like an EVSE MINI is offering, it's a bit big and bulky to be a "charge cable" you just keep in your boot.

I'd totally get one of these, but this doesn't seem to include North America. The countries listed don't include the US or Canada:

This offer will be available in 2021 in the following markets: DE, SE, BE, LU, NO, NL, IT, PT, ES, AT
    Markets to be followed until beginning of 2022: UK, FI, DK, PL, HU, IR, AU, RU
    Markets to be followed step by step as of end of Q2 2022 until year end: RO, GR, SI, SK, MT, BG, HR, CY, JP, CZ, TR, TH, LT, LV, EE, MY, MX, CA, LA​

19. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

Dude in the commercial looks pretty smug every time he looks at the camera.

Rob

20. Puppethead

Rewatching the video, I'm incorrect. It is the "boot" charging cable, at the end it shows the guy putting it away in the bag.

21. Cool, will wait for it too; I see that it will be in AU next year, hopefully NZ will not be far behind.

22. Apologies, @Puppethead; what is a “boot” charging cable, is it because it lives in the boot?

23. Puppethead

Yeah, the charging cable that comes with the car and is typically carried in the boot. Or as we Americans call it, the trunk. But I think "boot" fits better for the MINI since it goes under the rear storage area, along with the British heritage of the car.