Help/Suggestions on Window Tint in CA (Black Clarity)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MisterS, Apr 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MisterS

MisterS New Member

It is starting to get warm in California and my all black Clarity I know will be super hot this summer. I am starting to think about getting the windows tinted to reduce heat. I saw a few posts earlier, on percentages, which windows and type of tint (Ceramic? 3M?). I want to stay within CALI guidelines, not looking to do anything too drastic, but basically, reduce the heat/sun as much as possible. Any possible tips on what I should be looking for/asking for in terms of type, brand, the percentage would be very helpful. I did make one call to get an estimate. They said $200 for the car, but if I wanted the PREMIUM which was 95% more effective, it would be $400. Would love to some tips. Thank you

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have 3M, because I didn't think the "premium" does anything. Tinting does help if a bit, but your car has a pre AC feature which does not really need premium tints. Just get 3M, at least it wouldn't bubble up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Inside EVs mobile app

4. kevosuki

kevosuki New Member

If you want to follow california guidelines as written, you are allowed to tint your back windows as dark as you'd like. The driver, driver's passenger, and windshield cannot have any tint darker than 70%. Your only choice at this point is air blues or other clear films that offer around 40% heat rejection.

My advice is tint your rear windows as dark as you'd like and be reasonable when tinting your front windows. When I had my clarity i did Formula One Pinnacle 15s all around with air blue fronts. 60% heat rejection all around and 40% from the windshields.

The general consensus is 35s and lighter are "safe" for front windows in california.

5. beefChowMien

beefChowMien New Member

I am planning to get my windows tinted as well! Any one has any suggestions in the tri-valley area?

6. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

What? Are we living in the same California? Why was I told 80% or up for the front side windows, 90% for the front windshield?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. BLAZETIGER

BLAZETIGER New Member

Here's mine for reference. I don't remember the exact percentages, but I went as dark as I could on the rear sides, medium on the rear top, and and very dark on the rear bottom. 20190423_000052.jpg

thecompdude likes this.
  9. soobaerodude

soobaerodude New Member

Omega Werks in Pleasanton. He might not be the cheapest, and you might need to book a few weeks in advance, but the owner Vincent does the best job. A lot of people in the Subaru and Bmw forums recommend him.

10. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

For less than 400 I did Ceramic 35% on the 4 doors as I don't like have them with different shading but that's just personal preferences. I got them on a shop in Northridge, Kool Vision, reasonable prices and good quality, as I did my previous car there 5 years before, still looked as new when I traded it for my Clarity 3 months ago.

11. beefChowMien

beefChowMien New Member

Great! Thanks!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. graure

graure Member

Yes, just do 35% all around. Different tint levels on various windows looks tacky. Do 90% ceramic on windshield if you don't wear polarized sunglasses when you drive.

4sallypat likes this.
  14. vin seeram

vin seeram Member

Pick a film with high TSER, total solar energy rejection. In addition to the obvious benefit of higher heat blocking/absorbing, for these films the TSER doesn't go up much with darker tint. This gives you the flexibility to pick the shade that gives you the look you like.