Hawaii 2022 Mini SE delivery

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by kulaneal, May 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kulaneal

kulaneal New Member

Ordered a 2022 Iconic, silver/white with white roof (for the tropical sun) about 6 weeks ago, still shows as 'Scheduled for Production' status. I'm concerned the chip shortage is slowing or stopping production at the Oxford plant.

I am new to forum but not new to BMW or EV's - I had a Nissan Leaf for 4 years. It had about a 70 mile range (including the 2500' climb to my house) but only required charging away from my garage once in 4 years. I think of ev's as big smartphones, use all day and plug in when you get home -- then leave the house with a full tank of electricity.

I think Mini has nailed it in the SE, no giant/expensive/heavy/long-charging battery but still enough range to handle urban and everyday needs. For me it appears to be a perfect second car.

bldxyz, Texas22Step, MichaelC and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Congrats on your order! I can verify it is a fantastic second (or secondary) car.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did you get to test-drive a MINI Cooper SE? Compared to an elderly Leaf, it will be a huge upgrade in fun (and, in this rare instance, even an upgrade in range). You'll enjoy the SE's power on the climb to your home in the sky.

Texas22Step and Lainey like this.
  5. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

Did you happen to buy an outrigger from a guy in Eva Beach a few years ago? He drove his leaf over there and had to find a family member to recharge... stuck in my memory. (congrats on the order BTW)

6. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Congrats on your order! While the Leaf is a fine car, the Mini is just so much fun to drive by comparison. I hope you enjoy it when it arrives

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Completely agree! Some reviewers really fail to grasp how a large 250 mile battery would ruin the dynamic of the Mini. The engineers really found a great balance. I love the car more and more every day. Range is a total non-issue.

7.6 kW charging on a 28 kWh (usable) battery is also incredibly fast. That's 20% per hour on AC.

You're going to love it :)

9. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

+1 to ^ this - and if you can find a DC fast charger, the 0-80% in 36min makes any trip of range a non-issue.

polyphonic, Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  10. kulaneal

kulaneal New Member

Thanks everyone for the enthusiastic support! Now I have to practice my patience.

Has anyone heard if the Oxford plant is still constrained by the chip shortage?

11. kulaneal

kulaneal New Member

No, I've driven Mini's before but the SE is rare here so far. Buying without trying is always an adventure but I think the marriage of a Mini chassis and an I3S electric drive is just a natural -- and an extraordinary value since development costs are minimized and both are well sorted.

The SE is a drivers' EV.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

Also in Hawaii. Estimated production completion date on mine, according to Ask-MINI anyway, recently changed from June 2 to June 7. Maybe there's a small slowdown at the plant? Or they ran out of white roofs?

14. kulaneal

kulaneal New Member

Online reports that Oxford closed for 3 days near the end of April due to chip shortage but little else about current situation. When did you submit your order? Mine was about 6 weeks ago.
    Long trip from Oxford to Hawaii!

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  15. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

kulaneal likes this.
  16. kulaneal

kulaneal New Member

Thanks for that update, looks like the different chips in different models make for differing delays.
    I just need to be patient, not one of my strengths! Hope yours is shipped promptly and gets to Hawaii soon.

TempoHouse likes this.
  17. My completion date went from May 31st to June 4th to June 8th. I asked my dealer about the delays, but he didn’t have much information to offer other than, yeah, there’s a chip shortage. Oh, and he said he’s been told it’s especially problematic for the SEs in comparison to the ICE models.

kulaneal likes this.
  18. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Automobile News Europe reported in an April 25 article entitled "BMW, Mini output hit by global chip shortage -- Output will be paused at plants in UK & Germany".
    Unfortunately, the full text of the article is behind an Automobile News paywall, so I can't see any details of this that may be reported in the article. But the headline certainly gives credence to Mini production delays for this reason.

19. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

The SE is my second car, but I would not say secondary. It is my primary car - I only drive the Bolt when I need more seats or longer range.

MichaelC, insightman and Texas22Step like this.
  20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

To those who don't consider the SE to be a valid primary car I ask, "Which vehicle in your garage would you choose first for most of your excursions, the MINI Cooper SE, the Ford F-150, or the Ferrari?"

GetOffYourGas and Texas22Step like this.
  21. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

My SE is secondary only to road trips at the moment, as well as trips requiring hauling a lot of stuff. So that is what I meant using the term. But it is my main car all the time except for those instances.

Texas22Step, MichaelC and insightman like this.
  22. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

The SE is my primary car. We have a second car, but this is my around town car. I do offer it to my husband now and then but I rarely drive his.

insightman likes this.
  23. kulaneal

kulaneal New Member

As the EV manufacturers like to point out, most drivers do about 22-24 miles per day. That's
    a task for which the Mini SE is excellent. The champion of long distance drives is still a dinosaur-burner although the Tesla network of superchargers is getting close to practical.

Lainey likes this.