Having trouble removing my chargers from the port of my kona ev

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Juliekona, Feb 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Juliekona

Juliekona New Member

Been over a week that I bought a kona ev. Have been having trouble to remove my charging cable from the port even when all doors are unlocked. Been pressing down the button and trying to pull however no luck. Been having to open the hood and release the knob to remove the cable. Any thoughts?

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Is the vehicle actively charging?

I've found that when you use the keyfob button to unlock the car, there is a brief window (maybe 5 seconds) where the charging cable unlatches and can be removed, if charging is active. Otherwise, unlocking the car should make the ring light go white and the connector to be unlocked.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Make sure the auto release button is in the right position to release when charged. "if the vehicle is in the charging connector AUTO mode, the charging connector automatically unlocks from the charging port when charging is completed." I sometimes turn the car on and reduce the charge level to trick the car into releasing the handle. Generally the fob works also.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. JuliaKona, if charging is ongoing (or completed but the Auto button is in the off state) you need to request a door unlock by any means, including by using the key fob. That gives you around 15 seconds to remove the plug.

BC-Doc and electriceddy like this.
  6. There has been the odd occasion where I have had to cycle the lock/unlock function more than once to get it to release. Not sure why, but it has never taken 3 times:rolleyes:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. My 2019 will not release the charger cable if I unlock using the button on the door. I have to use the keyfob.

9. I just tested mine again and it does pause charging and release the plug with a press to unlock at the exterior door handle button.