Has anyone gotten the L2 charger from GM?

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Dave Shiels, Aug 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dave Shiels

Dave Shiels New Member

I bought a Bolt in July and was promised a L2 charger from GM. I understand that they are pretty busy but I have heard nothing from GM about the install except that my dealer put in the paper work. I contacted the Bolt concierge and have only gotten info on the recall but they seem clueless about the L2 charger. I also contacted Qmerit the installation service and they have nothing with my name on it.

Anyone have any insight into what the next steps might be?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Dave Shiels

Dave Shiels New Member

Sorted it out with the dealer. Ended up it was on my end in that with all the damn SPAM mail I accidentally "marked as read" the email from Chevrolet to start the process.

4. Dave Shiels

Dave Shiels New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You're one step closer to home charging.
    David, your EV Install Form for your home charging outlet installation was successfully submitted! In the next few days, you'll receive an email from Qmerit, our exclusive provider, with details about your installer.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact Qmerit at (888) 272-0090 or [email protected]

5. Dave Shiels

Dave Shiels New Member

Well I successful got the 40 amp 14-50 outlet installed at no cost, that was pretty painless at zero cost to me. Scheduled Monday for a Tuesday install. I would have liked to have a 50 amp line installed but the cost was more than GM would contribute. The 50 amp line required a run all the way back to my main panel and the 40 amp line could be installed in the 60 amp sub in the garage serving both the Volt Clipper Creek and new the 40 amp HCS-50P being shipped today from Clipper Creek to service the Bolt..

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  6. Dave Shiels

Dave Shiels New Member

New Clipper Creek installed and now operational! Yeah.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ReddyKilowatt

ReddyKilowatt New Member

I purchased the Webasto Level 2 charger from the dealer's parts department. I hired a licensed electrician to do the installation. I already had a 40 amp service. With my solar panels on our roof, I have paid no more than an $8 per month service charge to our Albuquerque, NM electric company, PNM. That includes charging my 2020 Bolt to 90% each day I drive it.

9. amy stivens

amy stivens New Member

Do you also have a portable generator with you all the times or is it not necessary? Which one it is ? I am reading here about all the generators https://evadept.com/charging-ev-with-generator/ and the price range is so wide. Would you recommend to spend more than a thousand on a generator or the one for 300-400 should be just fine?

10. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

I have never even considered a portable generator. Does not make much sense to me. I have survived since 2017 with my Bolt EV charging at home 95% of the time, and on vacation I have had very little trouble with charging on the road. I would not waste my money on a generator.

amy stivens likes this.
  11. amy stivens

amy stivens New Member

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I am a new EV driver and know very and very little about it. I am just a bit worried that my battery will not last too long with the temperature going down and AC on all the time

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

Depends on how far you drive. If you drive about 120 miles round trip in one day, then you are very safe, with of room to spare in the winter. Its just like the gas tank in your old car with its own personal polluter. If you are low on gas, you fill it up and drive until its time to fill up again. With an EV its easier, because when you arrive home you can charge it ready for the next day. Its highly unlikely you will ever run out of charge unless you don't watch how many miles you have left to drive and you forget to charge. Its really not difficult. If you want to drive 200 miles round trip or one way in the winter, then you will have to charge up with a d.c. fast charger at some point in the journey to fill up again. Its just like a gas car, you are unlikely to drive and keep driving until you run out of charge. Just watch the number of miles left on the dash. You will soon achieve perfection. It really is not big deal. Don't buy that generator. Its a waste.

14. J Schultz

J Schultz New Member

This is a nice step in the right direction from GM on two fronts.
    1) Installing a 240 volt outlet for free. I'm happy this worked out well for you OP. I am fortunate enough to have a friend who is a licensed electrician. He installed a 240 outlet in my garage for $150. Many have to pay WAY more than me.
    2) Acknowledging the fact that the factory supplied EVSE is dual voltage. It always has been since the Volt, but now they supply a switchable plug adapter. No more extra expense of purchasing an adapter or attempting to make one yourself.