H&R Spring Review

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CoachCookie, Nov 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

So like most people I went back and forth between coilovers (likely ST-XA) and springs. Ultimately I decided on springs as I was mostly interested in aesthetics with a bit of a bump in handling, rather than a total suspension overhaul. Having all of the adjustment to fine tune height and ride quality is nice, but at the end of the day I'm in more of a set it and forget it type of mindset lately.

I've had good experience with H&R springs combined with stock shocks/struts on a couple of other cars in regards to ride quality. Based on some photos I had seen these would give me the drop I was after (~1.2" front and rear), so I hopped online and ordered up the H&R 28813-2 spring set.

Install went very smoothly. Did this in my garage with two jacks, one to hold the car the other to aid in raising and lowering suspension. Didn't need a spring compressor either. No special tools, but a battery powered impact made disassembling/assembling the front struts a breeze. I referenced this post which outlines the install, and has a couple of tips/tricks:

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/eibach-springs.14937/page-2#post-186953

Review
    As for my review, here goes. It may or may not be in depth enough for some, so feel free to ask if you have anything specific. I've been driving the car for about a week now on the springs, so I'll add to this as I think of/encounter more. I'll also add more photos as I can as well.

- Front: the overall ride is firmed up, but still maintains good compression and rebound
    - Rear: rebound is a bit higher, noticeable on larger bumps that give you more of the "bounce". Is not excessive, just increased from stock.
    - Ride is very smooth on two lane highway even with some bumps and overpass junctions
    - I have always noticed a "floaty" feel, especially in the rear, when on a straight road and making slight changes in steering. The car has never felt as tight as I would have liked. This was only increased going from the stock summer tires to all-seasons (which has been my biggest complaint of the car). These springs have completely resolved that! That floaty feeling is completely gone!
    - Turns handled much better, body roll greatly reduced, much more planted and direct. I feel like I can really enjoy the handling and zippiness of this car now!
    - Aesthetically the car is spot on for me! Cars don't look right, especially MINIs, unless lowered. I like to be just on the low side of conservative and this is just what I was after. Great looks with plenty of ground clearance still.

* Disclaimer: I am used to sportier/firmer riding cars (multiple lowered mustangs, SQ5, Model Y Performance, Golf R, Fiesta ST, etc) so my threshold might be different than others used to a couch on wheels type of ride.

Suspension setup:
    - H&R 28813-2
    - Stock shocks/struts (~3300 miles on them)
    - Rial Lucca 17x7.5, +45mm
    - Continental DWS06 Plus 205/45/17

Before:
    PXL_20220907_131136894.jpg

After:
    PXL_20221114_142007371.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    SE_PDX, Hatch, ghost and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Awesome write-up, and very useful information for what I assume is a sizeable plurality of visitors to (and members of) this forum.

4. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I would have thought the H&R springs would have lowered the car more than that. The pictures from H&R show it lower but this looks great!

5. CoachCookie

I hope someone finds it useful!

To be fair the photo is after only a short 15 mile test drive. The front looks to have settled maybe an additional .25". I'll grab an updated photo when I get a chance for comparison. And maybe some other views too if I can convince myself to get out in the freezing cold :/

SameGuy likes this.
  6. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

Greatly appreciate the write up. I was on the fence, but going to just go with H&R after reading this. I am the same way about setting it and enjoying the car.
    Thank you!

CoachCookie likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CoachCookie

Updating with a side profile photo after driving around for the past week and a half. Looks like front settled a tad more. Overall drop is more or less spot on at just over an inch all around!
    PXL_20221123_141037913.jpg

h-dogg, Wreckless117, ghost and 4 others like this.
  9. CoachCookie

Glad to help! Hope you enjoy as much as I am!

jakesmini likes this.
  10. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

arrives at port tomorrow...so hopefully soon!

CoachCookie likes this.
  11. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

@CoachCookie, have you had your SE’s alignment checked after the H&R springs were installed? If so, what was the outcome? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CoachCookie

I have not but do plan to soon. I can tell you camber increased slightly in the front and rear just from visual alone. Toe didn't seem to change at all, at least based on steering feel.

14. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I bet if you installed Bilstein rear shocks for the Clubman, it would solve the increased travel.
    Part number: 24-263481
    ECS has it for $122 each

The rear shocks are divorced so it is pretty simple to replace.

15. CoachCookie

I'm confused on how longer rear shocks would affect camber?

16. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I was referring to this, not camber. For reference, the ST coilovers have much stiffer rear shocks and have a lot less travel too. When driving, the rear doesn't rebound in the rear like my car did with stock rear shocks and the Eibach springs. So maybe getting stiffer rear shocks would solve that "bounce".

17. CoachCookie

Ah ok. That makes more sense. When I read increased travel it threw me off. So the Clubman shocks are the same length, but stiffer?

18. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure on this.

Looking at the rear spring lengths on the F56 versus F54, the F54 are longer and that car is slightly heavier. The earlier reviews of the SE also said that the rear springs are from a Clubman (F54). No one has rear shocks for the SE but if the rear springs are the same as the F54, I would think the shock length would be the same too.

Bilstein also has two different shock lengths based on the springs you are using. The B6 are for stock springs and the B8 are for lowering springs. The B8 are shorter. I would have tried the B8 for the F54 on my car if I had kept the lowering springs.

Meanwhile, the front appears to use the same shock size as the ICE car and the front lowering springs are the same between Eibach and H&R. I think you could put the Bilstein B8 struts in the front from the F56. I didn't notice any real downside of using the front lowering spring with the stock strut though. It was only the back that I was unhappy with.

19. CoachCookie

I see I see. Yeah I'll have to do some digging on that. To be honest the more I drive it the less I notice it. At this point I'm more than pleased with the outcome, but I'll keep that info in my back pocket in case my mood changes on the matter. As you stated the fronts are spot on with the stock struts!

20. SJA

SJA Member

Looking for some input, just ordered H&R springs. Trying to see what size spacers to run with my 17'' tentacles. Was planning to run 15mm and 20mm from Killallchrome.

21. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

As best as I can tell, the SE has unique shocks not used on any other model. Every other f56 than the GP uses the same shocks.
    I believe that they are slightly longer than the f56, but much shorter than the F54. I did measure my rear springs as same outside dimensions as OEM F54 springs. I have not measured the rate. But they are likely in the f54 ballpark. I have not pulled my shocks yet, so no measurements. The front springs appear to be F55 rate, possibly lengthened. I have not pulled them to measure, yet.

22. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I have 15mm spacers front and back and recommend this setup.

23. SJA

SJA Member

Awesome thanks.