Grinding/popping/clicking noise with brake pedal pressed and turning wheel

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jason Kam, Apr 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jason Kam

Jason Kam Member

Hey Guys

Hoping someone has an idea..trying to pin point where the noise is coming from, see the video! This occurs when you have your foot on the brake pedal and turning the wheel while parked. Also can hear the noise to a lesser extent while driving slowly.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Sounds like something's wrong with the steering rack and or drive axle. Take it in ASAP.

4. Jason Kam

Jason Kam Member

I thought something like that too. But it's only when pressing the brake pedal for the most part...?!?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Inside EVs mobile app

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Even if it's only when pressing the brake pedal for the most part, get that looked at right away. I don't think it's just brake pads slipping on the rotor. Something is loose or broken. It could be a stone caught in the wrong spot, but you need to know what that noise is. Hit any potholes? Had a recent alignment?

6. Jason Kam

Jason Kam Member

Not that I know of but my wife drives the car too.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

You should never press the brake pedal while turning the steering wheel on pavement. Extremely stressful for steering system and can actually cause damage. Damage Might already be done. Tears up tires too. Make sure car is rolling when turning steering wheel, or at the very least make sure brakes are released if ever forced to do it stationary. Your steering system is screaming for mercy when you do that and the rack might actually be skipping gears.

The car is under warranty, take it in. Something is obviously wrong.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Walt R likes this.
  9. Jason Kam

Jason Kam Member

Agreed. It's not something that is done normally. Dropped the car off at Honda. Two technicians had me repeatedly crank the wheel to lock and rock it back and forth to cause the noise. Both are stumped at pin pointing exact cause. Verified torque on the nuts. Car is going on the hoist tomorrow for further investigation.

10. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous. How else do you take a tight curve off a highway but by braking as you turn?

Or heck, even pulling into a parking space sandwiched between two other vehicles.

Maybe if the car didn't have the stupid "ICE and gearbox emulation" mode of going 5 mph despite no accelerator pressure, that'd be more feasible, but since it does, there's literally no way to drive the thing without occasionally having to steer while braking.

11. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

@petteyg359, I think you missed:
    "Make sure car is rolling when turning steering wheel. . . " in @craze1cars post. He can pipe in for himself, but I think he meant to say: It is not advised to turn the wheels and press on the brake pedal while stopped.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. craze1cars

Agreed. Misinterpreted what I wrote because I forgot to add “while stationary” to what I wrote. My apologies for not being clear. Of course you can brake while steering. And you should often. I meant you should not have your foot crammed hard in the brakes, with car fully stationary, while cranking the wheel. ..as was being done in the video. That is extremely hard on all steering parts. Make sure the car is at least creeping forward or backwards, and all is good.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  14. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. I back out of a parking space, apply the brakes, spin the steering wheel all the way in the opposite direction, and drive away. Braking while cranking the wheel is an everyday normal activity. I've done it for 5 decades and so has the rest of the population.

petteyg359 likes this.
  15. craze1cars

Ok. Carry on...

16. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Sorry my wording was a bit strong. I may be getting grumpier in my old age.

17. craze1cars

No apology necessary. All is good! Thanks!

18. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

Jason,

What was the final diagnosis? How many miles are on the car? I am curious as I just had to have a wheel bearing replaced. I at 18,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. tterag

tterag Member

Just sounds like the rotor cover plate has a stone stuck between it and some other part. I'd ask if you can feel it in the steering wheel, but I can't feel any road feedback in my Clarity so there's that. I'd jack up that side and see if it still makes the sound without load on it.

20. Kylet

Kylet New Member

Hey tterag, I'm having the same issue with my car, same sound when turning and braking. You asked if the other person can feel it in the steering wheel. I can feel mine in the steering wheel, can you diagnose any further?