Green charge lights flash when not charging

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Raleigh Ron, Mar 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Raleigh Ron

Raleigh Ron Member

Occasionally, I'll head out to the garage and I'll notice that - even though my 2022 Kia Niro EV isn't plugged in or charging -- one of the green charging lights at the base of the windshield is flashing - usually just the center light. If I open and close the driver's front door, the light stops flashing. This doesn't happen every day -- I only notice it perhaps once a week or so. Has anyone seen this happen to their Kia Niro EV? And what did you do about it?

Robert Bratton likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

This chart is on page 1-26 in the 2020 US manual:

upload_2022-3-4_14-35-14.png

4. mjohnson6865

mjohnson6865 New Member

I am sure your question was answered but when you see only one of the lights flashing and you are not plugged in to a charger. It is flashing because the Traction ( High voltage) battery is charging the 12 Volt Battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

TheHellYouSay and Robert Bratton like this.
  5. Raleigh Ron

Raleigh Ron Member

Thanks! I vaguely remember scanning that chart, but didn't remember those last two rows - I've seen both of those instances happen before - both light 2 blinking by itself and light 3 blinking by itself. The description for light 3 - "Charging 12 V auxiliary batter" is clear, but the last table row is a bit vague - blinking light 2 = "Reserved charging in operation or temporary interruptions" - but I assume it's nothing to be concerned about.

6. FredO

FredO New Member

Thanks. I have a 2020 PHEV. My manual's chapter 1 has only 6 pages (to 1-6). Instead of your chart it has a much less useful table on p. H5. And the accompanying photo shows only one light.
    upload_2022-3-19_17-50-33.png

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mathraki

Mathraki New Member

Also, perhaps, my kia ceed phev has this light flashing when scheduled charging times are set.