Going in to buy an ID4. Any dealer tips for knocking a bit off the price?

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by AlecTim, Jul 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AlecTim

AlecTim New Member

Going in to buy an ID4. Any dealer tips for knocking a bit off the price?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Call multiple dealers. If one dealer is trying to add additional charges above MSRP, then try a different dealer. Getting below MSRP is hard however - some areas of the country are over-supplied and will go a little under MSRP, but you might need to get on a plane to get to one of those - depends on the demand in your area.

Keep an eye out for dealer shenanigans. Unwanted add-ons (etched VIN in the windows, other such stuff), or excessive fees of one sort or another. Ideally you should only pay tax, title and the destination charge.

If you have a trade-in, get a quote from Carvana or Carmax.

4. Dalicea

Dalicea New Member

I typically shop around between dealers and found they were willing to match but not compete.

The dealer I did go with immediately came down $1000 off MSRP. I counter offered with $1500 and they agreed right off the bat. It is definitely regional but I would still call around and see what dealers in your area are like.

5. mmalc Crawford

mmalc Crawford New Member

Based on my experience I would agree with @Dalicea that there are regional differences.
    In California, I paid sticker without any "debate". Certainly a month or two ago they were in very short supply, so the problem was more with finding one.
    There's a long anecdote about it, but biggest issue from the dealer I eventually got mine from was the finance person. They were sufficiently annoying that if I'd been able to get the car from another dealer I would have done.