Getting the F150L in your garage

Discussion in 'F-150 Lightning' started by Texas Niro EV, Mar 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

Not only will parking the F150L in a garage protect it from the elements but it will moderate the temperature of the battery giving it better performance. I really want to park my F150L in my garage if I can. Unfortunately, it will be VERY tight in my garage with a F150L in it.

The distance from the back wall of my garage to the garage door measures about 19'-6". The tech sheet for the F150L gives the overall length as 232.7 inches or 19'-4.7". I have been seriously concerned that the F150L won't fit in the garage so I have been obsessing about what to do.

I have a side entrance 2-car garage with a single double door, so some typical simple solutions to lengthen the garage, like installing carriage doors, won't really work for me. I have figured out how I can lengthen the garage buy rebuilding one of the walls but that would probably add another $10k onto the already expensive F150L purchase. I had heard about people notching out the walls of their garages to make room for their pickups but I never really took that suggestion seriously until I saw this picture, https://i.imgur.com/S1WmOb2.jpeg.

Now that I think about it, the idea appears fairly simple and not near as expensive as moving a wall. Basically all you are doing is building a new door frame in an existing wall. Anyway, this is what I plan to focus on for making room in my garage for my F150L and I hope this gives you guys some ideas about how to get a F150L in your garage as well.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My poor F-350 has to live outdoors because it's too long for my garage, and it has definitely suffered over the years. If the F-150 Lightning won't fit in my garage (I think it will, but be tight), I'll look seriously at a car shelter of some type. I'm not worried about temperature effecting the batteries, cold doesn't hurt them and if there's a cover to protect from direct sun I don't expect too much heat.

4. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Even though I can shoehorn my truck in the garage, I decided after a hail storm this would be just as good, got hammered 2 weeks old paper tag still on the glass. The wifes Escape fits a lot easier in the garage when the storms brew up.

Can also enclose any or all sections to shield for a charger to mount. and it's on the panel side of the house, win win.

[​IMG]

Puppethead and electriceddy like this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You have 1" of room for some kind of bumper material at the back of your garage. At the back of my garage I have thick-walled plastic bubble-wrap against which I snuggle the front bumper of my nearly too-long Honda Clarity PHEV. You could alternatively use commercially available "garage wall protector" products, too. Perhaps you could use multiple layers of something like this product on Amazon. You could use something like this to line your extension pocket, too, if you build one of those.

upload_2022-4-2_0-0-21.png

6. Puppethead

I finally got my F-150 Lighting and it does fit in the garage, with about 12-18 inches to spare. I'll have to back it in for ready access to the charge port, though. Here it is in the garage next to my MINI Cooper SE.

se+lightning.jpg

Fastnf likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Congratulation on the new Lighting. What trim did you get? I have had my Pro for 9 month. I love it. Glad it fits in your garage.

andyG59 likes this.
  9. Puppethead

Got the XLT trim, standard range.