G*D that was fun!

Discussion in 'i3' started by bwilson4web, Oct 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

As backup for our SR+ Model 3, I have to drive it every 45-60 days to cycle the battery and run the range extender. The shorter wheelbase and tight steering, it is a proper pocket rocket in traffic. You see a gap and you're there. In comparison, the Tesla on AutoPilot is a cruiser with 360 degree sensors and automated lane changing.

I ran a benchmark last summer and both the BMW i3-REx in "ECO PRO", and SR+ Model 3 in "Chill" had identical acceleration. The big difference is the Tesla drives itself +90% of the time and the BMW i3-REx demands full involvement. Involved driving is fun but fatiguing. Being driven is much easier and arrive fresher.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Petrocelli

Petrocelli New Member

When you say "involved", do you mean it is difficult to drive at high speeds. I have heard that the i3 can be a little "skittish" on freeways. Is that your experience?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

It is a tightly coupled but precise steering. You have to tone-down your steering or you'll be overcorrecting. But once you've got the knack, it is a lot of fun at any speed.

Bob Wilson

ghallgren likes this.