Future Proof Charging Solution

Discussion in 'General' started by Heather, May 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I currently own a 2017 Audi A3 etron. We have been charging overnight on an extension cord, but the charger unit broke and I'm now looking at solutions. I'm thinking we will end up with another full electric in the next few years so I'm wondering about future proofing with a Level 2 charger. We don't have a garage so the unit would need to be rated to be outdoors in Toronto Canada. Any recommendations on specs and brand to be ready for the future without breaking the bank? Heather

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

He recommends Grizl-e for their cold rating. The bonus is that it's Canadian made. If I don't end up with a solar EVSE that is the one I will be installing.

Heather likes this.
  4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

If winter outdoor usability is something important you can do the NEMA 14-50 Grizzl-E route, or the 30A hardwired route with Flo G5 (or very expensive X5). Tesla Gen 3 Wall connector is also possible. Avoid EVSEs like ClipperCreek & chargepoint as the plastic is too brittle for -40F outdoor weather.

Heather likes this.
  5. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

There weren't a lot of choices when I got my first EV in 2016. Nissan was promoting Aerovironment charging docks so I went with that. My installation is also outdoor on a South facing wall which gets intense sunlight in the summer and cold winter nights comparable to Toronto's. It has a plastic exterior which so far has held up well under these brutal conditions. That being said, if and when it fails I will go with either a Flo unit or a Grizzle E. On the road I've never encountered a Flo unit either L2 or L3 that wasn't working. That says something.

Heather likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I got a Grizzl-E specifically because of its cold weather performance. Not only is it well-made it's one of the less expensive options.

Heather likes this.
  8. I’m curious to hear about the solar option. My electricity said solar wouldn’t generate enough power to charge an EV. Is there a provider you are working with? I once saw a solar carport but not for residential.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Here is one, combines grid and solar with inverters up to 11.4 kW which would be ~ equivalent to most new EVs maximum on board charging capacity (Ford Lightning @ 19.2 kW excluded) but still plenty fast enough. Just make sure to have panels installed with a south exposure. ;)

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  10. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

As electiceddy linked it is the one I'm looking at. I have applied to Hydro One to see if the grid has capacity for a solar system.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Going solar in ON would probably result in forfeiting time of use rates so you will have to do some cost/benefit analysis.

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I don't live in a cold climate but have a Grizzl-E installed in a partly enclosed outdoor carport. I love it and it seems pretty indestructible.