Full Charge Lower Over All Mileage

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Kona Bill, Mar 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Hi everyone. Got a question for anyone that has encountered this:

I was charging my Kona to 90%. I was getting ready for a long trip, so I charged it to 100%. At full charge it only showed 226mi. Has anyone had this happen to them or does anyone know what causes this (Temps were in the mid to high 60’s)? Please help if you can.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. EVDog

EVDog Member

The “Guess-o-meter” bases projected mileage on your most recent mileage. The EPA mileage is published as 258 miles for a full charge. Winter driving, highway driving, lead foot, lots of HVAC use all will reduce your projected mileage. The car doesn’t know your driving habits or the weather, so it bases range on your previous usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I find that "topping off" at my usual 80% (or maybe even 100%) that the resulting mileage will vary depending on how low the batteries were when I charged. e.g., when I dropped to 15% about 2 weeks ago, charged to 80%, the mileage went up to 234 miles. The other night I charged from 67% to 80% and the mileage resulted in 227 Miles. So for giggles, try running you batteries down to under 20% and see what kind of miles you end up with on the recharge. And I can't tell you WHY these results vary like this. :)

5. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Variation of the GOM number is based on an algorithm that weighs up recent driving efficiency. Driving that consumes large amounts of HV battery SoC will impact more on the GOM than quick trips to the store - it can be thought of as:
    miles/kWh x miles run = GOM impact.
    So if you drive a long distance, running your SoC right down in the process, then your economy for that trip will heavily impact on your GOM value next day. But the drop in SoC alone to a low value has nothing whatever to do with GOM variation, it is only because the driving efficiency for a longer distance has a higher GOM weighting than for shorter distances...

6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

As others pointed out, the GoM is based on your driving habits.. If you drive at high speed with the heater on, you'll likely see a very low range.
    I have never seen my 100% range anywhere close to that but I don't run the heater at all as I live in Florida. The lowest I have ever seen was 216 miles at 80% which is about 270 miles @100%.. My "usual" 80% range is between 240 and 260 miles..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Thanks for the replies. Feel better about it now.

9. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

What's your average mi/kwh?? If you average about 3.4 mi/kwh in recent driving, your GoM estimate is dead on.. I average around 4 to 5.3 mi/kwh depending on the percentage of highway driving.. Highway driving is much worse efficiency.. City driving with the heater and AC off is always above 5.0 mi/kwh.
    To get the rated range, you need to be right around 4.0 mi/kwh.
    If you take screen shots of your fuel economy history and post them here, we would be able to see why your number is that low. On your main screen, go to EV, then select ECO DRIVING and then EV ECONOMY HISTORY. Below is mine..

20200322_222332.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020