Fuel tank not filling

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mitch Bekritsky, Jun 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mitch Bekritsky

Mitch Bekritsky New Member

We just filled up the fuel tank on our new-to-us 2018 Clarity, and the nozzle clicked off after only filling the tank about 2/3rds full. I didn't try to overfill it, but am wondering if something is off. Has anyone else had this happen to them before? The car is still under warranty, so a repair should be straightforward if needed....

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Could have just been a problem with the particular pump you were at. Does this repeat with every refill? If yes, then suspect the car and take it in.

JFon101231 likes this.
  4. Mitch Bekritsky

It was the first time I filled it up, so hard to know. I know when the dealer filled the tank before we picked it up, it was also about 2/3rds full, which I didn't think much of at the time. We're road tripping with the car in just over a week, so I may have to bring it in sooner

5. With this car it isn’t out of the question that the gauge is providing an incorrect reading. The fuel level sensor could be a suspect as well.

What was the fuel level in the tank before you added fuel?
    How many gallons did you add?
    If you drive 50 miles in HV does the level on the fuel gauge decrease from 2/3rds?

With fully charged batteries, try burning gas until the low fuel light comes on. At that point the car should take on ~5.5 gallons. If it does, and the gauge reads 2/3rds, you have a full tank and a faulty gauge or sensor.

Sometimes, disconnecting the 12V battery for a minute or so fixes these glitches.

insightman likes this.
  6. Mitch Bekritsky

According to the fuel level, we had about 40 miles left til empty, but when I filled the tank it only took about 3.5 gallons. Battery was low too though, but I'm not sure how it would affect things. We drove about 100 miles after filling the tank yesterday, and the range estimate and fuel level seem consistent with the tank being partially filled.

Since it's a CPO, I'm wondering if the previous owner had a habit of topping off the tank and maybe wrecked the evap system by the gas tank. Next time I fill up, I'm going to see if filling it up more slowly gets me anywhere.

Or I could just call a dealer and see if it's covered by the warranty and have them take a look...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks. The reason I recommended having fully charged batteries when conducting a low fuel test with a questionable fuel gauge would be to have some range remaining in the event of the fuel being depleted sooner than expected.

9. Mitch Bekritsky

That's good to know! We're still in an apartment for another week, so charging the car is still difficult.

10. The HV Charge feature will allow you to charge the batteries up to ~60% while driving.

11. Mitch Bekritsky

Good to know for our road trip!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JRath

JRath New Member

We may be having similar issue with our 2018. In 3 places it said we had 32 miles left, and the bar graphs all showed accordingly, like a couple ticks. I put one (1) gallon in tank, and all still said 32 miles. Next day, another 1 gallon. Still, 32 miles. Third day, another 1 gallon, still, 32 miles displayed, and bar graphs in dash had not moved either (and, no, I had not been using any gas). Then, I realized, the bar graph on the App on my iPhone was up, showing it was ~70% full, even tho digital said 32 miles. So, for the past month & a half or so, that bar graph in the App was the only thing I'd trust re HV range. IMG_0214.jpg IMG_0215.jpg IMG_0216.jpg IMG_0217.PNG

14. Danks

Danks Active Member

The gas level doesn't update well when you only put in a gallon at a time. I had the same thing happen when I test drove a Clarity and needed to put some gas in to get back to the dealer. I put in 1 gallon and it didn't register on the gas level.