Front tires Chunking Off

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by David Towle, Jul 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

The front tires on my 16 month old, 15,000 miles First Edition are chunking off, especially around the 2 mold lines that encircle each tire. Is this normal? I recognize I better rotate front to rear ASAP. IMG_8778.jpg IMG_8777.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. papab

papab Member

No, not normal. What tire pressure do you use? What kind of roads do you drive on?

4. David Towle

42 psi as recommended. Only occasional highway driving, mostly local roads at speeds of 35-55 mph. We are in Florida so the roads of course are very hot for a good portion of the year. My guess is they were not made correctly, especially since the worst problem seems to be centered around the mold lines. These are pretty wide, and the wider a tire is the greater the slippage and friction has to be as you go around a corner.

5. David Towle

I went to the VW dealer, they said go to a Bridgestone dealer. I went to the Bridgestone dealer, they said to go to VW. I called Bridgestone customer service, they said go to a Bridgestone corporate dealer, not a franchise. I have done that now. All 3 said the tires should be replaced. The problem now is Bridgestone says they have none of the tires, even though VW and Tire Rack say they have plenty. Hopefully this does not take months to resolve.

When I checked Tire Rack I noticed there are not many brands offered in the 20" size I have. The Michelin Cross Climate is however offered, it seems like the best value if I have to spend my own money. I do have some doubts about a winter rated tire in Florida but I guess it has to work.

6. It's the shell aggregate in Florida asphalt.

If your on mostly highway, this is uncommon.
    If your on lower speed "secondary" roads in Florida, the shp shells tear up harder rubber as used in EV tires.

"Touring" tires might not provide the same range as your stock tires, they will be quieter. I would not suggest the Cross Climate 2 in Florida due to higher temperatures - which will likely wear quickly.

https://drivingpress.com/best-tires-for-florida/

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Towle

My other car is a Honda Clarity PHEV which has Michelin Energy Saver OEM hard green tires. These have a lower treadwear rating than the ID's Bridgestones. Yet this car has 63,000 miles, no tire chunking and lots of tread left. The Honda is almost as heavy as the VW and the tires are smaller. I think its very likely the Bridgestones are truly defective. But time will tell.

Of the tires in the Florida report, not one seems to be available in the 20" ID size. Might get more with time but not now.

9. Not for nothing - what mode is the VW set on?

If the fronts are shredded, but the rear tires seem normal, it could be starting off from a stop that overloads the rubber.

10. David Towle

What kind of mode do you mean? I never use the max regen position its horrible for my leg.
    Why would startup have any effect on the front tires of a rear wheel drive car like an ID.4?

11. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

You have this backwards. The ID4 is RWD or AWD, not FWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Is the car set for Sport mode?

It looks (to me with no big letters after my name) like scrubbing from excess "toe in".
    https://www.bridgestonetire.com/learn/maintenance/tire-tread-wear-causes/#

I had a Crown Vic back in the 1990s driving daily from Boynton to Delray Beach and the fronts wore out before the rears, twice. Both tire sellers blamed the shells in the asphalt.

14. David Towle

15. David Towle

Good news for me, the Bridgestone dealer ordered and received the new front tires from Tire Rack, balanced and installed them on my ID, and I'm all set. And there was no cost to me even though I had driven the previous tires over 15,000 miles which was a surprise. The take away here is if you need new tires for an ID don't wait too late since they are not stocked well in the US yet.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Keith Rambo

Keith Rambo New Member

Here is a picture of mine at 18500 miles. Look familiar? Dealer said it was because I did not align. Replaced with Michelin had an alignment, and the front had not been out of alignment. When I pointed this out, they said the rear misalign caused this. I think this is typical dealer double speak.... What to you think of the service department that I am dealing with?
    IMG_2295.jpeg Alignment.jpg

17. David Towle

18. Keith Rambo

Keith Rambo New Member

Pro S with 19"

19. Keith Rambo

Keith Rambo New Member

2021 Purchased 09/11/21

20. David Towle

That's interesting, I think that pretty much throws out the theory that this is just a manufacturing defect on a batch of tires.