fresnel lens

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by davidbike, Jul 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. davidbike

davidbike New Member

I saw the fresnel lens discussed within another thread. I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

For those of us who are over 6 feet tall, seeing a traffic light while stopped at an intersection can be a contortion challenge. The small lens is affixed to the upper portion of the windshield, acting like a fish-eye lens and refracting light from a broad area, thus allowing one to see objects above the roofline; such as traffic lights. I have had mine for a few weeks, now believing it should be standard equipment on any mini with tall drivers. It was a solid $25.00 investment, attaching to the inner surface of the windshield with only the application of water.

I got mine through Cravenspeed, as was suggested on the prior thread.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/highlight-for-mini/

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. OYSTR

OYSTR Member

What are thoughts about this causing damage if the car is out in sunshine. I googled "fresnel lens" and it came up as part of a survival kit for focusing sunlight to start a fire!!!

I'm a little attuned to this as I was given a crystal lens ball as a gift, which I left on my desk. When I came back one afternoon it had focused the sunlight to burn a sizable hole in the plastic of my docking station :eek:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  4. endquote

endquote Active Member

Yes, this is necessary for me and very useful.

I got mine from lightinsight.com, but it looks like the cravenspeed one might be a bit better if it doesn't have a dumb logo on it.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There already is a thread about fresnel lenses.

Despite having a heading, "Specifications," the Light in Sight website doesn't specify the size of their lens. If there's a forum member who purchased this lens, can you please reveal the secret size?

The Cravenspeed lens is 7" wide, which seems large to me. Would a 4" lens make the red spot from the stoplight too small to see? If you were trying to read a high-mounted sign (eg. No Turn On Red), I can appreciate that a large lens might be helpful. Is the Cravenspeed lens large enough to read a high-mounted sign?

6. endquote

endquote Active Member

Mine is also 7" wide. It seems like about the right size to me in regular use. Here's what it looks like from a driving position and also from the outside. (Yeah I need a wash.)

IMG_2611.jpeg

IMG_2612.jpeg

272076100_1263316184160490_6046837896695835011_n.jpeg

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Thanks! It appear that after experimentation, both vendors decided 7" was the sweet-spot for fresnel lenses (unless one vendor simply copied the other).

Every time you post a photo, I enjoy the great look of your all-black SE! However, I've owned black cars and they seem to need a wash even while you're still washing them. The black top on my SE reminds me of that.

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I’m 6’ 1” tall but tall enough to not see red traffic lights with SE small windshield when I’m first in a line that lens is my neck safer Thanks to member who put this here.I HIGLY recommended for peoples who have the same issue D3C93287-F873-4981-B503-93B2082BB497.jpeg

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I put a lens 1”1/2”below windshield top bc was interfering with sun visor at close position .

11. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Heck, I’m 5’7”, shorter than average, and I still can’t see stop lights at certain intersections. And I sit with the seat adjusted to the lowest position possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. davidbike

davidbike New Member

14. davidbike

davidbike New Member

I am glad you are finding the lens useful. The more I use it the more I think it should be a standard safety accessory.

I was interested to read about the history of the lens, initially used in light-houses!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

drive with pride

15. MallowMan

MallowMan Member

I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks now and I find it a little hard to see since everything is a little distorted and small. Jury is still out on whether I keep it or remove it.

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've been wondering if it were mounted on the rear window if it could show the brake lights, to see when the regenerative braking is active.

17. MallowMan

MallowMan Member

No, the brake light would be at a 180 degree angle, way too steep for the lense.

18. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's true for the upper "third eye" brake light. The rear window is curved, and if you mount the Fresnel lens at the bottom by the wiper it might be enough of an angle. If I had a lens I'd experiment.

rearbrake.jpg

19. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of mine in action.

I'm 5'10", average height in the US, stopped at the white line where you are supposed to.

I held the phone at eye level - you can tell from the rearview mirror view.

You can see the horizontal light bar coming in from the right well out of viewing range but clearly visible in the lens.

[​IMG]

SameGuy likes this.
  20. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Meh. If I can’t see the red light it means it’s not there.;)

pictsidhe likes this.
  21. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

These lenses have been around for MINIs for decades; if they were starting fires in cars, we'd have heard about it by now. Should be fine.

22. insightman

The photo isn't visible to me. I see a minus sign in a gray circle.

23. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Clear your cache; it should be visible.