FPL has a long way to go

Discussion in 'General' started by hobbit, Jul 31, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

For reference, https://www.plugshare.com/location/281487 and my (non-)checkin. This is Florida
    Power and Light, which let's remember only a decade ago was doing everything they could to BLOCK
    deployments of solar in the "sunshine state". Clueless as a corporate strategy.

Outfits that only offer their "app" as the only option to work with their chargers should be regulatorily
    compelled to implement other options. Since most "apps" are glorified web-browsers anyway, it's not
    a stretch for any of the dev departments of these companies to enable launching a charge session
    via their ordinary website using an ordinary browser, given that one likely had to sign up and attach a
    payment method to an account therr in the first place. Anyone without a google or apple account is
    PROHIBITED from downloading any apps from the "stores", which honestly is flat-out discrimination.

The five-minute fix is for the provider in question to make the app install packages directly available
    from their own websites as well.

While most people [esp. EV drivers] likely have smartphones, that's not guaranteed either. Or a user
    may not have reliable cell data service at the charger location. This is another strong argument in
    favor of RFID tap-cards, or a regular credit/debit chipcard reader on the unit [which is how I have to
    use EA]. Then the only network question is between the charger and the provider's own network,
    which presumably works since they would have ensured that at comissioning.

The high irony about FPL is that I called them ~ 2 weeks before to discuss options, and was told by
    their reps "oh, we're still in this trial period and charging is free, you can just call us and we'll start it
    for you, no app needed". Well, not before 8AM on an ordinary weekday apparently, when the "outage"
    department my call fell over to is telling me I have to sit there for 45 minutes with the CCS plug locked
    into my port and nothing happening. I was like "f that", pulled the manual release and unhooked, and
    happily charged at the nice high-power EVGo 20 miles down the road.

From there, now after 8am, I called in to complain about this abysmal handling of things. I was
    assured that someone from the "Evolution" leadership would call me back "within the hour", which of
    course never came. I went through TWO cycles of that false promise, until two days later I was finally
    able to talk to the lead guy in that area. I broadened his perspective on what it takes to run a PUBLIC
    charging network, particularly with regard to having competent 24x7 coverage and not lying to the
    customer base. He seemed to take it seriously; he's a Tesla owner himself but obviously doesn't have
    to use his own network as a result.

We'll see if they eventually get it together, but for right now they shouldn't even be listed by Plugshare.

_H*

Domenick and bwilson4web like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Superchargers sell Teslas. But the CCS chargers are independent of EV sales. This explains the absence of drive to make CCS a seamless service. Their priorities seldom include the EV customer. For example, a broken charger is the same as no charger.

Tesla wants broken superchargers fixed for loyal, repeat customers. The other networks want cheap operation even if frustrating EV customers. When the other EV manufacturers have a stake in repeat customers, they should be more active in EV charging network management. Personally, I would prefer to see 24x7 access to CCS chargers on or at EV dealer property. The L2 stations locked up outside of business hours or used for dealer inventory parking are a poor substitute for a 24x7, CCS fast DC charger. Tesla does that already.

Adding CCS plugs to Tesla Superchargers means non-Tesla EV owners will finally understand why Tesla owners are repeat customers ... maybe they will become future Tesla owners.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    Mark W likes this.
  4. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Every charging station should have multiple payment options including at least one that does not depend on a cell signal. Hawaiian Electric has apparently contracted with Shell Recharge (formerly Greenlots) to operate a number of charging stations here, and one day last month I couldn't charge because a) I had no cell signal in a pretty remote corner of the island, and b)while the station did have a credit card reader for those without the app, it was broken. I realize that's a fairly rare combo, but the station in question is one of exactly 2 EV chargers within about a 40 mile radius, so if it's busted that's a real problem. And Shell Recharge stations here seem to have maintenance issues pretty frequently. Happily, I didn't urgently need a charge, I just thought it would be convenient to top off my battery so I wouldn't have to think about it when I got home.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Being off the cell data is certainly a possibility, and the charger's data carrier and antenna setup may very well
    be different from mine. The ONLY dependency in that regard should be the provider's connection. [I heard a
    rumor that Tesla provides local wifi for this reason...] Thus, the benefits of tap-cards or chip-readers, which is
    carried over *their* network and I don't have to goof with a phone at all. Such means should be a regulatory
    requirement for any public charger deployment.

_H*

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Just today a visiting Model S owner was trying to use an Chargepoint app at a local DC charger and was having a hard time connecting. I offered to use my RFID card to get them going (it was a free 50 kW machine) but they kindly declined indicating they needed to get the app working as they were travelling around the island and wanted to be sure not to have any charging issues. 30 minutes later, still unsuccessful, they still refused my help, and asked where the next DC charger would be. I told them the supercharger in Nanaimo (15km) would be their best bet, as they always had luck at other supercharger locations, however they requested a different location (again trying to establish different network compatibility). So at that point I advised them the majority of the DC chargers on the island were operated by BC Hydro (a couple of Petro Canada and Electrify Canada which of course credit cards are accepted as well ), and again "needed a separate app" or scan a QR code so off they went. Before leaving I showed them the RFID cards I carry as they were impressed as to how fast the machine connected to my car without any cellphone issues. It is really a gong show and agree alternate methods other than a "phone or app" should become mandatory.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Bruce M. and Fastnf like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

There is a ChargePoint J1772 with a broken latch that I’ve used for ad hoc training classes. We go over how to hold the phone for validation and a discussion about the presence pin. But we are also seeing the problem of ChargePoint maintenance.

Curiously there are two EVSE side-by-side. I get the impression having one broken J1772 reduces the risk of damage to the second one. Perhaps the original dummy gets a clue and won’t repeat their foolishness.

I also go over PlugShare and workarounds.

Bob Wilson

9. SailorK

SailorK New Member

FPL is worse than that. I downloaded their app and tried to use one of their chargers. I was driving from north of Tampa to the beach at Siesta Key. I tried to sign on to their app and never did get through. It would never send me a confirmation email. I did all the support things multiple times, but no one from the app dev/support team OR FPL ever contacted me. I am not a FPL power customer, just a Florida resident who wanted to use their charging stations. It never did work and I gave up. So their app is hugely flawed. There is NO REASON an app should be required anyway! EA allows charging without an actual account. BTW, I'm a former CTO, so not a tech dummy. FPL is NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME. FOR SURE. Since they were the only major fast charge source in that area, I had to make other arrangements.

10. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

This discussion highlights something important that's usually missing from political/policy discussions about building up the charging infrastructure. Adding more charging stations is just one step. They have to work. They have to be maintained. Access/payment needs to be reliable and convenient. If it's much harder than paying for gas, a lot of people just won't do it.

ericy and electriceddy like this.
  11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I have several DCFC locations pegged in my Open Streetmap setup along that stretch..., assuming you
    don't need to go over the skyway.

tpa-srq.jpg

I used the "Highwoods" location on the way down. The yellow one at the very bottom is a brand-new
    "7Charge" installation; too new to even be in Plugshare [when I checked] but apparently 7-11 is getting
    into the game too. Chipcard readers on the front, and their support says they have tap-cards but I
    couldn't find where to order one.

_H*

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SailorK

SailorK New Member

Kewl. I used Ellenton on the way down. Very nice BTW. The 7-11 charger was not up yet when I went down. There was also a Level 2 charger in Siesta Key that still had the permits and labels on it, not yet installed. I used Highwoods to top off on the way back. Both Ellenton and Highwoods are decent. Both had a couple chargers out. Highwoods was at 5:30 and was busy and charging speed was degraded to about 35KW. We sat at the Panera nearby for an hour.