For Arizona SE owners

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Jim In Tucson, Jun 24, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

ADOT plans to electrify AZ’s major highways.

IMG_0171.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Note there is a difference between providing regular opportunities for fast charging along highways and actually electrifying the highways. The later is a proposed technology which would allow for wireless power transfer from the road to compatible EVs.

Texas22Step likes this.
  4. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

This looks like the AZ proposed implementation of the Biden Administration's recently released "guidelines" for federally-funded EV charging stations, which (among other things) require placement on Interstate highways at 50-mile intervals. However, in many Western states, this is a tall order since there are no existing, off-shoulder rest stops or even electricity sources nearby these rather arbitrary spacing rules. In addition, I am not sure how much use such stations will get on I-80 in rural Nebraska or Wyoming (or even on I-40 in Northern Arizona) in January anyway? I hope the feds rethink some of these new "guidelines," as a practical national deployment of these stations would be great for EVs (like our MINIs) with limited range.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Electricity is not the issue, I doubt there's a single 50-mile stretch of Interstate with no street lighting.

6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Even without overhead lighting, there is power and communications conduit the entire length of any one/two-digit (and likely any three-digit) Interstate. The problem is sending a shot-ton of AC over a 48,000 miles grid, when there isn’t even a modern national power grid.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Texas22Step likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

For a Mini to use interstates between cities you would need chargers every 84 miles from n order to arrive at one with 10% remaining and charge up to 80% (as it slows after that). And that’s assuming you get 120 miles to a 100% charge at interstate speeds. If you only get 100 then the chargers would need to be no more than 70 miles apart. If you’re only seeing 80 miles in winter or whatever then they need to be 56 miles apart.
    So every 50 miles is a good target for interstate travel. Supply may be an issue in some areas.
    I also wonder if we need to cater for such short range vehicles given you can get a Bolt for $27k with far more range than the Mini and thus a better choice for traveling (or it would be if it didn’t charge so slow) even if it’s not as stylish or fun to drive as the Cooper. But at low price points, something has to give, and appropriate tool for job wins..

GetOffYourGas and Texas22Step like this.
  9. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Plus provision for a safe, off-highway place to stop an EV for charging (with snowplowing) and (not to forget) the lousy outdoor weather conditions in many places during certain months of the year when it could be a serious disincentive or even an obstruction to safe charging outdoors. Lots of issues to think about when planning this project and budgeting for it, that's for sure.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

The MINI is a good "foot in the door" EV. Ultimately, I will be looking for a SUV with 300+ range to replace the MINI and Subaru Forester but the current selection meeting that criteria is limited.