Flatbed Trailer Tie Down Locations

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Carlo, Oct 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Carlo

Carlo New Member

Hi, I'd like to tow our 2021 Kona Electric from NY to FL in a few weeks. Does anyone know the best way to tie the car down, so it doesn't bounce around on a U-Haul flatbed? More than the wheels need to be tied down in order to keep the car from bouncing.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thomas Mackay

Thomas Mackay New Member

The correct way is to strap down the wheels and let the car bounce a little. If you strap the frame the bouncing will likely break the straps or damage the car. I speak from experience (transporting a pickup on a flatbed trailer). Good luck.

4. Carlo

Carlo New Member

I was concerned about that and appreciate your recommendation. I ask because years ago, I towed a Dodge Spirit from NY to FL on a flatbed and it bounced so much that it affected the truck's handling. I had to get it strapped down, and that was with Ryder's biggest moving van, fully loaded. This time, I'd be using my 2019 half-ton Silverado 4x4.

5. Here is a picture of Tesla towed on a flatbed, note the strapped down wheels:
    [​IMG];)

6. Thomas Mackay

Thomas Mackay New Member

One other piece of advice, you may have heard this before, is make sure the weight of the car is evenly distributed over the trailer axles. Too far forward on the trailer or backward on the trailer and handling issues will result while towing. Thats any car not just an EV. The center of gravity should be just slightly forward of the trailer axle actually, but never ever behind it.

7. To remove this ad click here.