First Niro EV Road Trip

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by klopfer, Jul 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. klopfer

klopfer New Member

Got my Niro EV a couple of months ago, but just took it on its first long road trip. Wound up doing about 650 miles in two days. The trip was 300 miles from Massachusetts to New Jersey the first day, then the second day was a 50 mile drive within New Jersey before the 300 miles back to Massachusetts. I started with a full charge. On the way down I charged twice, once for about 15 minutes (just to be safe) and then again for 40 minutes. I averaged 4.1 mi/kw with a mixture of speed 55/65 speed limits and about an hour sitting at a standstill with the ac on. Outside temps were near 100F so kept the AC on the whole time. The battery conditioning did go on at least once. I did another charge at the end to bring me back to 85%. On the way back the temps were a little cooler, but had ac on the whole time again. I drove some slower back roads to avoid a traffic jam for about 30 miles. Charged twice, each for about 30 minutes with lots of mileage to spare. I would have easily stopped twice for 20-30 minutes using an ICE, so it hardly cost any time. On the way back I averaged 4.2 mi/kw. Used EVGo Chargers everywhere. Worked just as they should. I probably could have charged once instead of twice, if I found a station right at the midpoint (I did see some Tesla Superchargers at a place I would have stopped). But stopping and taking a break at a coffee shop while I charge is actually more relaxing. As ElectrifyAmerica expands it will provide more options.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

I appreciate the effort but a 650 mile round trip in two days is really not much of a trip. I routinely drive between Texas and Colorado without any overnight stops, about 850 miles each way. The last time I made the trip was in a 2018 Nissan Leaf and the experience was a big reason I now have a Niro EV.

I plan to make the trip again next month, this time in my Niro EV. Even though the Niro EV is a much more capable car than the Leaf, the 850 non-stop trip in August will be a significant test for the Niro EV. Since this will be the first trip of its’ kind in a Niro EV that I have heard of, I might try to trip report published on Insideevs.com.

4. TandM

TandM Active Member

Glad you had a good experience on your first long trip. I have been driving a 350 mile round trip with the Niro about once a week since purchase and love how stable the efficiency has been in different weather conditions.

There is a guy on the Kia Niro group on Facebook that purchased his Niro EV over 1400 miles from his home and drove it from Washington to Colorado in 2 days. I had thought we were kind of brave buying ours 400 miles from home and our test drive of it being the drive home but he definitely topped us.

Here is a link to Allen's story about his drive home: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10102123795279062&set=gm.2488012407877530&type=3&theater&ifg=1