First 100+ mile trip...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by su_A_ve, Sep 30, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I've always wondered how accurate are the range estimates.

For the most part, in the first 2000 miles, I had only used 1/3 of the tank, mostly from either gunning it or one time, running out of EV range for a few miles, or testing modes at the beginning.

EV range has been mostly accurate based on my daily commute, though sometimes a tad on the high side, but no idea on the HV range. Finally today we did a 135 mile trip, mostly highway, and a few stops in the way. On the way over, I used HV mode exclusively, except for maybe 10 miles. The way back, I stopped HV in the last 15 miles. Used ACC set to 69 mph.

Started with 53 EV and 275 HV miles - 27 miles used
    Ended with 26 EV and 139 HV miles - 136 miles used

So, now I'm down to about 1/3 of tank and may finally fill it, as I wonder if the car ever had the HV range update done or not.

The most important thing to me was my wife's comment 20 miles in: "this drives very comfortable..."

Randy Stegbauer, zman and Domenick like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Heino

Heino Active Member

Glad to hear it... I haven’t done any road trips yet. Just local driving on EV - curious as well if I have the latest firmware installed already.

su_A_ve likes this.
  4. GentLarry

GentLarry New Member

My road trip was 5100 miles from Calif route I-40 to Tennessee then returning using route I-70 and I averaged 43 MPG which wasn't bad considering elevation changes and 4 people plus luggage in the car. Now with 6100 miles on the car I am averaging 50 MPG for the car and expect it to continue to rise since I drive strictly in the EV mode around town. I like the ICE/EV combination and would not like to rely on EV driving alone. It's just too hard to find EV stations to charge at when in unfamiliar territory. Honda nailed this car with the EV range when compared to other car owners I have talked too + it holds 5 passengers comfortably.

su_A_ve likes this.
  5. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

So for a long trip like this, where/when did you charge if ever?

6. GentLarry

GentLarry New Member

I was a newbe as I had only had the car for a month and was still trying to figure it out. I have the Charge point and Plug-share apps and they were accurate locating charge stations. My first charging point was at a Highway Patrol 240V charging station in the desert. That only lasted about 45 minutes as they have a sign posted "this is not a lounge" or something to that effect. It was too hot to complete the charge so we were on the road again. Second stop was Whiskey Pete's and I had no charge and the low fuel light was on when I arrived there. The third and last charging commercial spot was in Vegas but the heat and low charge rate was an inconvenience. From Vegas East there was nothing but open space and desert. The car self charged its-self but in the process of changing drivers a charge was lowered because the car starts in the EV mode and it became a catchup game trying to keep a charge on the battery and reminding drivers of the fact. Leaving Vegas , the charges were all through the 115v unit supplied with the car except at a hotel in Tennessee. Leaving Colorado with a full charge and going basically down hill the car maintained a charge without needing to stop for a charge and showed 26 miles remaining when we pulled into home driveway.

The car recharged on demand by depressing the HV mode and by its self without me making the request. The HV charge mode was a hard charge where you could hear the engine working but just letting the car do its thing you hardly noticed any difference at all and it still charged to the 28% level. No more cross country road trips for me:)

su_A_ve likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Looking at possibly doing an NJ to FL trip in the next year or two. We do stop over at least once on the way to/from, so it would be a matter of looking for an EV friendly hotel. Else, it would just be HV and HV+ modes for the 2200 miles...

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

We just returned from our first long trip (640 miles round trip). We stayed in ECON/HV mode the whole time, except for a short lapse. We'd lose about a mile or 2 of EV range every 50 miles and returned with 25 EV miles left. The car said we achieved 49.6 mpg on our trip. Of course, you can use Plugshare to find places to plug in.

My wife, who drove the whole way (it's her car), was surprised and delighted when she felt the extra 60 horsepower in HV Mode for the first time.

10. Breezy

Breezy Member

I'm about to take a 700+ RT trip. I installed the Hondalink app so I can locate charging stations, though plan to leave the car in HV most of the trip. I look forward to the day when EV chargers are abundant! We've taken a few 160mi day trips and as long as we remembered to push HV again after stopping (this has been an issue and I plan to put a sticky note on the dash for the upcoming trip), we could time EV use to last 20 miles to home and plug in.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I took a photo of the D button and made a paper HV button. Using a piece of Scotch tape at the bottom I taped the paper HV button over the D button to remind me to press the HV button before flipping up the paper button to press D.

upload_2018-10-2_19-31-51.png

Breezy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.