Finally installed my 240v outlet in my garage

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Aaron, Feb 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

First I wanted to say thank you to all the members of this forum. I have received some PHENOMENAL advice that ultimately saved me hundreds of dollars!
    Quick recap......
    I live in a townhome with 3 stories and a 100 amp panel. When asking around I was told everything from "You don't have room on your panel" to "I can do it for 1400 dollars."
    I eventually went with a local licensed electrician who charged me 600 dollars including materials.
    My panel originally looked like this.....
    Panel.jpg

And now it looks like this....

Panel 2.jpg

The appliance breaker now sits where the "spare" was and the "spare" (that wasn't really a spare) was put on the Tandem that also includes my garage outlet.

We had to drill from the panel on the second floor into the garage which...thankfully...is directly below the panel.

All told it took about 6 hours but mostly because the electrician was working solo and I asked if he wouldn't mind walking me through the process and allowing me to help (because I like learning stuff.) He was very patient.
    He came in 100 dollars under "quote" and didn't try to upsell me or justify that extra 100. He even called the next morning to make sure all was well.
    I went with the Duosida 240 v 16a charger and can get from zero to hero in a little over 4 hours.
    The final product looks like this....
    Garage.jpg

One final note....when you look at my panel you see two breakers for "bedrooms." One of those actually isn't energizing....anything. If I had wanted to I could have gone with the standard 32a 240v outlet by removing that breaker. Since our Clarity's charge fully in a shade over 4 hours and since it only makes sense financially to charge in the middle of the night and since we get 6 hours of 9 cents kw/h charge time and since I had already purchased the evse....I stayed with the 16 amps.

Thanks again to everyone who was helpful and patient with me. This forum truly is fabulous!!!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Nice to get good news. Thanks for sharing.

4. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Most excellent...

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Good update. Pretty amazing to go from "Can't be done" to "$1400" to $600. Sure shows the value of getting 3 quotes for home improvement!

6. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

100% this.
    It took a little longer but you can literally save hundreds if not near a thousand dollars by being patient, doing research, and shopping around.
    I realize for the EV crowd this is a no brainer but it is amazing how many people just make purchases without doing due diligence. In the internet age....there is no excuse.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

All that's left is to update the circuit labels. Someone down the road will appreciate it (and it may even be you). An inspector will usually require it (but not always) in order to pass.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  9. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

Excellent advice! Thank you!

10. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Nice!

11. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

And remembering that welder that you just bought.

Aaron and KentuckyKen like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

Nice job!!! I am glad that you are able to install a tandem breaker instead of having to upgrade your panel. I am surprise that you didn't go for a higher amperage tandem breaker, such 20-40-20 so that you can use a 32-amp instead of just 16-amp Level 2 charger. Also, you should ask the electrician to use PVC or metal conduit for the installation in the garage. It would make the wire looks nice, straight, more professional.

14. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

These are good points. I opted for the 16 instead of the 32 because my panel is only a 100 amp panel and I was uncomfortable with using up 1/3 the load on an evse. I had visions of a Wed. afternoon with the Clarity charging, refrigerator going, the freezer going, the washer and dryer going, the water heater going, both of my kids on their gaming PC's, and the microwave going. I was with the electrician every step of the way and with all the heavy lifting done (measuring, drilling, etc.) if I want to make that switch I could just do it myself. My electrician was originally going to use metal conduit and then he told me it was 200$ for every ten feet. That's when I was like "ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no." I can come back later and do that myself as well.

15. Dante

Dante Member

Your electrician has used BX which is a metal housing for the wires. Preferred in NYC over Romex due to rodents feeding on Romex insulation over long winters... hence sometime shorts-fires-disasters... lol

Any covering would be purely aesthetic so, if you decide to beautify it, go with what pleases your (your better half's) eye.

Congrats on getting it done and the great deal on installation. Keep that electrician close...

16. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

Ouch... $200 for every 10ft of conduit installation. I would say "no thanks" as well. These are very easy to install, especially PVC conduit... they just snap together. HomeDepot will even cut them for you if you bring your measurements. 3/4" 10ft PVC conduit is under $3/each at HomeDepot.