Finally gave up on the “walk away” door locking

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Feb 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. For two reasons...

First, there’s always that little uncertainty as to whether I’m going to get the “good to go” single beep, or the “this ain’t gonna work” multiple beeps. A small thing, but that little “hitch in my getalong” each time I walk away from the car was mildly annoying.

But the second thing is a lot more aggravating. The scenario is Karen goes back to the car to unload groceries or whatever, only to find it locked automatically when I walked away. She then needs to find me, grab the fob and go back out. Grrr...

Anyway, reprogrammed yesterday to disable that feature. Probably worth keeping if you always fly solo, but with a partner, not so much.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I am also getting frustrated with the walk-away, and I am solo. Why do I get the multiple beep failure?

After I get the failure, I press the lock button on the outside handle, and it locks fine.

4. James123

James123 New Member

If you open then trunk then close all doors, walk away from the car with the remote on you then the car will not lock. Other people can close the trunk then press the lock button on the handle.

5. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I always get that multiple beep when I just get off and then open the trunk just to take the charging cable. A bit annoying indeed but no longer paying attention to it.

6. I’ve had the multiple beeps without the trunk being involved in any way.

I never saw a pattern, but even attempting to discern a pattern was just annoying enough to make me want to give up.

vicw and leehinde like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JimW

JimW Active Member

I second Eddie's complaint. The multiple beep warning seems to have become more frequent in past few weeks. I think this could be fixed with a software upgrade. I complained through Honda corporate and they told me to report this as a problem through my dealer. Obviously, the fix will need to come from engineering. Has anyone reported this to their dealer as a problem and if so, what was their response?

The "locked car in garage" issue could also be fixed with software. The car knows where it is, and the auto-locking could be disabled when in your garage (known as "geofencing").

9. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I have contemplated disabling it as well. There are many cases where I get the multiple beeps and don't know why. Also, I will walk away to get the charging cable with other people still getting out of the car. It doesn't like that either.

10. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

For a while I had a theory that it was related to how the car was shut down. Like if you put it into park and then switched it off and got out within a couple of seconds perhaps the system was unsettled and something not fully deactivated during shut-down would trigger it. So lately to test the theory I have taken the time to shut down at a more conservative pace. It seemed to help for a week or so.

However, yesterday I did that and got the excited beeps and nothing seemed to be out of place (keys were not near it, the headlights were not on, the car was shut down, trunk was closed, no doors were ajar). Opening and closing all doors and the trunk couldn't resolve it. So now I give up again.

It seems to come and go, and not generally related to the ambient conditions. Still a mystery to me.

11. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Not denying others' frustrations, but I'm very happy with the feature. The occasional warning beeps are easily addressed, and the vast majority of the time I just get the reassuring chirps.

FWIW, my phone is in a holster on my right hip, my keys are in my left pants pocket.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Same as me (phone usually in pocket, but basically amounts to the same general location).

14. bill_m

bill_m Member

Count me among those who love the multi-beeps! Did I not completely close the door getting out? Or not shut the trunk completely? Did I leave the power on inadvertently? Thank you Clarity for reminding me!

vicw likes this.
  15. Or did Honda’s patented “Random Beep Generator” (RBG) just happen to trigger?

LegoZ, MNSteve and bill_m like this.
  16. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

It seems like the trunk is a hyper-sensitive area of the vehicle, regardless of whether the lid is open or not. While outside I suggest you guys close the door, and wave the FOB around the roof of the car, while moving into the rear of the vehicle. Trunk area tends to set off the security disarm every time.

I find this is important to know, since the only other condition I get the vehicle to disarm the proximity lock is after I retrieve an item from the passenger door while car is tipped towards me, close the door and walk along the rear of the car(while on a 6" elevated sidewalk). It could be the antennas are perceiving the FOB to be in the trunk, since in the car is not taking into account vehicle yaw, and using simple talk-back triangulation to detect whether or not the key is within a two dimensional barrier.

Theoretically, they could release an update to fix the issue; perhaps a condition where the system re-arms as soon as FOB is confirmed to have left the vehicle, since the antennas should still be able to page the FOB for "x" seconds after warning beeps. However, part of me wonders if they have other security clauses in place that overrides that wish (COM port left open could become an attack vector for hackers trying to gain access to the vehicle)

17. bill_m

bill_m Member

Yes, The first week I had the car, I began to call it the Enigma Machine, because of the fuss it was making whenever I was near the trunk. Then I realized the noise would not occur if when I opened or closed the trunk the fob was in the pocket furthest from the vehicle. Clarity was getting and giving me the fake news that the fob was still in the vehicle. Since then I try not to lean into the vehicle when closing the trunk ...

18. Again, I’ve done nothing more than step out of the car and close the door.

RBG strikes again!

As Steve Jobs said, “It should just work!”

19. vicw

vicw Active Member

I'm also quite frustrated by this annoyance, which does seem to have gotten worse over time I've experimented with timing, position, battery change, etc., and have never been able to correlate the problem to any variable. The trunk is not related to the problem for me..

I keep hoping for one of the geniuses on this forum to solve the problem, but in the meantime, I just always listen carefully whenever I depart the car, and just press the button to lock the car if it streams the beeps.

20. vicw

vicw Active Member

I can't love something that Falsely indicates any of those things.

21. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

One of the very first things I disabled when I got my car. I just use the button on the door handle to lock it.

Groves Cooke and craze1cars like this.
  22. I think that button may have been mentioned upthread.

Just looked. I had no idea there was a lock button on the door handle. That certainly seems like an elegant, if simple, solution!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  23. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

That’s my method too. Hated auto lock and disabled it on day 1

izudin likes this.