Fan noise from center of dashboard

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tangible, Aug 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

I am hearing a noise from behind the center of the dashboard that sounds like a fan with a bad bearing. It happens only with the HVAC system on, but it’s not the main air circulation fan. It goes away for several days, and then returns. It happens whether or not the car is moving.

I seem to remember reading a post about this, referencing a defective part but I didn’t see it in a search. Does anyone know about this?

PS: This is not the A-pillar rattle, which I had and has been fixed.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Tangible

You may be referring to TSB 18-090. Below is a link to several TSB's for the Clarity.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kdAWalfu0w4I4jksNGruScVjJkmy608d?usp=sharing

On page 4 of TSB 18-090...item #3...is the diagnostic procedure to reset the AC unit if it is acting odd. Some of us who had the unit replaced early on had to use this procedure to finish the installation process correctly.

Hope this helps.

4. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Thanks, @Clarity_Newbie , but the 090 service bulletin was applied to my car last October. This is something else.

5. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

If you tried the diagnostic procedure I mentioned and still have issues...keep us posted on the eventual outcome.

Good luck.

Daniel M W likes this.
  6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

There were several people posting early in the forum with that same noise and it turned out to be the fan motor/blade needed replacing.

As far as I can remember, we have had multiple postings of problems in the following areas since the forum began:
    -HV over estimate (our complaints led to an SB being issued)
    -Fan motor/blade noise; replacement
    -A-pillar rattles (especially at tweeter)
    -Front triangular side window seal
    -Wheel bearings
    -Pre-Delivery Inspection (failure to charge, reduce tire pressure to 36 psi, and/or install the 4 body plugs)
    -Infotainment freezes/glitches (remedied by reset)
    -Absolutely clueless dealer sales and service departments

And not problems per se, but we have had numerous reports of how easy it is to curb the wheels and a lot of flat tire reports. And of course the unexpected ICE start up immediately after a full charge due to limited regen that seems to be due primarily to hard braking or prolonged braking on a downhill close to home.

Please add anything I may have left out.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

OK, thanks all. I was hoping to avoid two dealer trips – one for diagnosis and parts ordering, and then one to install – but I guess that will the outcome.

9. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

If you are wanting to enumerate all Clarity issues, it might be good to update the long-running thread on that?

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/clarity-issues.368/

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member