Factory Level 2 Charger

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by M3rKn, Oct 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. M3rKn

M3rKn New Member

Hello all,

This is my first post. I purchased a used 2018 Leaf. It came with Nissan's factory L2 charger (apparently a $1600 option). Do any of you use this? According to the manual it is rated at 30amp continuous when plugged directly into a 240v outlet. Since it came with the car I can save $700 vs purchasing Wallbox or Clipper Creek hardwired charger. However, I am new to all this. Your infinite wisdom is appreciate.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. P&T

P&T New Member

Yes, and they work quite well - although some models of EVs can accept more juice than the charger will provide.

We actually have two of them, that we use to charge a Kia Niro and an Ioniq 5. When we did our preliminary research, Nissan’s OEM chargers had no negative feedback regarding build quality or issues.

We run both of them off dedicated 50a circuits, which is probably overkill - properly thick copper wiring in a 40a circuit should be fine.

You could buy them on eBay for around $300 - probably less now.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. M3rKn

M3rKn New Member

Hi P&T, thank you for the input. Yes I am planning to install a sub panel. My garage is detached from the main house. I'll go with a 50 amp breaker to allow for upgrades down the line. Thank you again for the recommendation, this will save me quite a bit of change.

5. KarriO

KarriO New Member

Yes, I use it and it works great. I didn't need to spend the extra money on a hardwired charger as I could install my dedicated 50 amp line in my garage where it's same from the elements. I think you need a wallbox/hardwired charger only if it needs to be installed outside, and/or you want wifi control of the charger. I just use the timer controls on the Leaf itself.

My channel - MaplEV Leaf:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkxs6SJS4qQNP35C3x8weqA