Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by KonaScot, Jan 23, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

I'd like to get the sense of the group on this, as my normal reaction is to say "no thanks".

With the purchase of our Ioniq5, with 10 year battery/drivetrain warranty and 5 year bumper to bumper, we were offered for about $2600 an extension of the B2B to 10 years, i.e., another 5 years of coverage.

This apparently would cover electrical issues (and I'm a child of Lucas electrical robust-ness (NOT!)), brakes (which may need replacing at some point even with regen), and a bunch more. While an owner hopefully can afford to get things fixed outside of powertrain & battery in years 6-10, is it likely that this cost would be in excess of the $2600 (and there's the cost of the money in years 0-5, as payment would be now)?

Worth considering, a firm "yes", or a "no way"?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You must be so old (like me--Austin Healey 100, MGB, Mini-Moke) that even driving cars 10 years from now might be a question.

That said, 5 years ago, I spent $1,200 for 12-year coverage on my Honda Clarity PHEV. When I learned just the infotainment head unit cost more than that, it made sense. However, I didn't pop for the $5K+ extended warranty for my MINI Cooper SE--I decided I'm willing to self-insure to avoid paying that price.

Is your dealer the only source for Hyundai's extra warranty coverage? There are many alternative, low-cost sources for geunine Honda extended warranty coverage. Maybe that's true for Hyundai, too.

4. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Any Hyundai dealer can sell the Hyundai extended bumper to bumper warranty package, that comes in 3 levels (Platinum is highest). $0 deductible between 5 and 10 years. They can compete on price. One source I found is selling it for $1600 - much less than what my dealer offered. Not sure I'm going to buy it but these non-battery or drive train components are dear...and on an ICE car last year I spent $500 on brakes, with this warranty covering brakes, shocks, etc. We'll see.

insightman likes this.
  5. harveys

harveys New Member

Hi. Any chance you could share name of dealer you found selling Extended bumper to bumper warrenty for $1600? and person to contact. Thank you

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Contact Crystal at the Burlington (VT) Hyundai dealership. Approx $1600 for the platinum plan.

8. ozy

ozy Active Member

Just reviving an old thread: I just purchased my ioniq 5 a few days ago and was told by the dealership that I could wait for a while before purchasing an extended warranty. Apparently there's a certain threshold that can be reached so that you can purchase it at the best price? I think she mentioned 10,000 miles. Basically, my understanding was that it was best to wait for a little while and then purchase it.