Experience with TPMS for winter tires & rims

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rick2020Kona, Apr 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rick2020Kona

Rick2020Kona New Member

I am trying to clarify something:
    I have new alloy rims & winter tires for my 2020 Kona EV, and will be installing a TPMS in them.
    Does my TPMS have to be reprogrammed with a special tool every time i change the tires from summer to winter.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NRH

NRH Active Member

Mine just automatically linked up. It might take a few minutes the first time. (I used TireRack TMPS units)

4. I got aftermarket sensors through my dealer. They had to buy a "reader" to get mine to work and they need it every time the swap is done. Sorry, don't know brand name.

5. Just make sure they are 433MHz sensors and they should automatically sync up with your car after a brief drive. Occasionally sensors or the BMS module may have trouble with a new mating and might require a manual reprogramming with a TPMS tool via the OBD port, this is unusual.

Wildeyed likes this.
  6. Of course my case would be "unusual". ;) What else is new?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rick2020Kona

Rick2020Kona New Member

What i have learned so far:
    - 433 frequency sensors are required.
    - New sensors must be activated, programmed and relearned.
    - apparently the Kona EV does not automatically relearned a new tpms sensor, it has to be programmed in through the OBDII port.
    - every time tires are changed or rotated the relearn process should be done and sent to the OBDII port.
    - after relearning sensors it is prudent to over fill one tire, then take it for a drive, and then check the on dash reading to ensure it actually matched the correct location & pressure in each tire.
    - One can purchase tools to program, relearn and send the data through the OBD port, so you can do this all yourself - Autel makes several models

9. NRH

NRH Active Member

That's not been my experience. I ordered rims and snow tires from Tire Rack, with TPMS installed. I swapped the old rims for the new ones, and the TPMS worked right away. No reprogramming or relearning required.

10. You typically do not need to program new TPMS sensors to a Kona via OBD, the Kona typically does it automatically. Not all cars can do this automatically. Some new sensors may need to be activated meaning a TPMS tool will assign them a unique electronic identifier. If I was you I would get your new sensors installed and try and get your Kona to acknowledge them automatically after a short drive, if that does not work you could always get them reprogrammed by someone with a tool after the fact. Keep in mind some tools and sensors are not interchangeable, i.e. Autel tool will typically only work with Autel sensors, but the sensors may work with other tools, I know its weird and confusing.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  11. Rick2020Kona

Rick2020Kona New Member

Thanks for the info: i have new rims, tires, TPMS Sensors and a programming tool coming. I will experiment with just activating them, and see if the Kona will recognize and record the correct pressure for each wheel and then report back here.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.