EV prices since Tesla price drop

Discussion in 'General' started by papab, Jan 27, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. papab

papab Member

Has anyone noticed any change of dealer pricing on other EV brands since the Tesla price drop? I would think it's going to make a big hit especially on the ones asking more than MSRP

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

They have to make EV’s first before they can make a price drop.
    Outside of VW ID4, Chevy Bolt, Tesla, Hyundai and maybe Polestar the chose remain slim.
    I don’t count manufacturers that make a vehicle in such low numbers that the reach is not possible.

4. I think the Tesla pricing was designed to get the other "players" to fold.

I think only the Chinese backed makers will remain.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I think the prices are aimed at the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) thresholds:
    • under $55,000 - for sedans
    • under $80,000 - for SUVs (pickups? vans?)
    Tesla adjusts their sales price to prevent excessive wait times longer than a year.

Tesla is racing against itself. The other EV makers have to "lead, follow, or get out the way."

Bob Wilson

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I've seen some Hyundai Kona EVs selling slightly below MSRP in Seattle. If you bargain hard you might get a couple of thousand off MSRP.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Canada is definitely different. I have 3 pre-orders in for the top trim Ioniq 5 (Ultimate pkg) all done in Feb/22. One of the dealers contacted me yesterday to inform me that MY wait time for that trim is still 2-3 years out, and if I still wanted it. They are trying to cull their list. Thank goodness I got my Solterra a few weeks ago (was also ordered Feb/22) and don't mind waiting now for the Ioniq 5. No problem getting a Tesla here, but not the top trim Hyundais.

9. Shawn EVD

Shawn EVD New Member

Where are your reservations I’m in Vancouver and I was told that orders before January 15th 2023 are starting to be delivered but after Jan 15th no time line at the moment. I put down a deposit January 23. I was told then that I would be one of the first for 2023. I have pre orders on other vehicles like the Silverado and the blazer but until they are out and I can sit it one I’m not sure what I will eventually go with but at this point I might have to take a what I can get which is not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. I was talking about the Ultimate pkg trim? They are more scarce than hen's teeth.

11. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I wonder if they just can't get many the heads-up display parts.

There are plenty of the SE and SEL vehicles for sale around the Seattle area.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lots of discussion about this on the VS Ioniq forum. Many (incl me) have just received this news from the local dealers. I don't get it, TBH. Why do they sell this car in Seattle, but not in BC or elsewhere in Canada? Here are a couple typical posts.

My dealer here in bc said that whoever wants to pay dealer fees (market pricing) now on stock units gets the car. He recommended getting my deposit money back. He’s a really nice guy and all my questions whenever I text - said he wishes he had better news but they are hardly receiving any Ioniq 5s as is. Ultimates will no longer be manufactured as well once the previous deposit customers have received their vehicles.
    Isn’t that weird? Anyone else hear that from a dealer?
    Why would they stop manufacturing the most popular trim of their most popular car?
    Both the dealers I put my money down for the "dealer's list" just reached out to me today, apparently no ultimats are being assigned to either of them for the 2023 model. They tell me Hyundai expects 2024 ultimate models to be order-able by dealers beginning early august this year...
    It's pretty frustrating honestly, especially when it looks like Americans are starting to have cars sitting on the lot. At this point, we desperately need tougher legislation to mandate EV sales.

14. Shawn EVD

Shawn EVD New Member

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

LOLing at the term "stickee," I made a few edits to this newspaper comic (originally titled just "AUTOS").

[​IMG]