Ev/ Fuel cell

Discussion in 'Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles' started by Rose1596, Jan 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rose1596

Rose1596 New Member

Advancement in technology is making hydrogen fuel cell vehicles a modern day reality. Battery technology has made ev vehicles a modern day reality. Both have significant advantages and disadvantages. Nicola in conjunction with GM was set to produce the Badger. A plug in ev/ fuel cell hybrid. I don't understand the big war between the two.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The problem is making hydrogen take 3x more energy than charging a battery. There are use cases for hydrogen but surface vehicles is not one if batteries and electricity is available.

Bob Wilson

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Another issue is that all of it is pretty much made from methane. You might as well just use natural gas directly.

As Bob stated, it's just not a good use of hydrogen for surface vehicles.

I can see green hydrogen used for energy storage, and maybe powering ships, but not for surface vehicles. However, there will have to be a massive increase in green energy and nuclear to make green hydrogen feasible.

5. Maybe not for cars. But I see a case for large transport vehicles like trains, and maybe semis. Companies like CP Rail are working on this right now. And of course airliners, again development work is underway with those manufacturers. I have given references to those facts in past posts here. The advantage with these is that energy density (per weight) is much higher with HFCs. And with aircraft that is most important. With the amount of air travel today, there is a tremendous amount of emissions happening. Would be good to have this eliminated.

6. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

The problem is dollars are limited. Every government dollar spent on hydrogen is a dollar not spent advancing battery electric technology, infrastructure or renewable energy.

At some point in the past it was worth sharing the pool of money between the two. But now the economics, physics and customers have spoken. Hydrogen is no longer needed or desired to create mass market zero emissions cars.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.