Engine air filter

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, May 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

How often do any of you diy'ers change out the engine air filter? I have 34k miles on the car and about 12k on the gas engine. No dirt roads or dust to mention.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

What does manual say? I'd do that at least until warranty is up

turtleturtle and DaleL like this.
  4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I found in the manual "If you drive in dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner element every 24,000 km (15,000 miles)." Didn't find what the non-dusty recommendation is. I trust what the educated members here are doing as much or more than I trust the manual. I assume it will be code A08?

JFon101231 likes this.
  5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I'll have to check - in general (across brands/cars) I've seen the "dusty" recommendation is often 1/2 regular so may be 30k miles.

6. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

That would be 30K engine miles since EV miles don't count. Which is what is odd about the recommendation in the manual as it does not make a distinction between the two.

As for code 08, someone who monitored it with OBD-II said it appears to be based on a combination of engine miles and the calendar. So at least the minder seems to be somewhat on the right track. Although the best is probably to go by HV miles, which can be estimated reasonably well based on gas purchases.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I think there are a LOT of instances where the manual was simply cut-and-pasted from a conventional vehicle like an Accord of similar. There are a lot of examples where there should be some distinction identified that would be unique to a PHEV but it just reads like a plain old vehicle.

DaleL and Frankwell like this.
  9. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I have a 2018 with about 40,000 miles. Bought an air filter expecting needing to change it. Took out the original filter out. It was clean as a whistle and the rubber is still pliable so I didn't replace it. I put on about 2,000 HV miles a year so we're at less than 10,000 HV miles now. I'll probably replace it at 12,000 HV miles regardless of how dirty it looks. That's based on premise of how some parts deteriorate over time even if not used much (like motor oil and tires). I change my motor oil once a year even though it's only 2,000 miles and it looks always looks clean. All my HV miles are extended freeway miles (i.e., the engine fully warms up each time) so it's no problem to go a full year.

10. I tend to follow the guidance in the manual. Since our car is not operated in dusty conditions I’ll wait for a signal from the MM. At that time, the filter will be examined, HV miles will be estimated and a decision will be made whether or not to replace the filter.

It isn’t a big ticket item, but as mentioned, if it looks like new and I don’t expect much, if any, HV driving for a lengthy period of time, it may go unchanged. Don’t know it that qualifies as educated or not.

turtleturtle likes this.
  11. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

I’d like to see someone put a K&N on the intake on a Clarity. You know, but that extra 0.25 HP at 5,400 rpms.

Remarksman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If you installed a K&N, the Clarity's engine would start up unbidden even more often just to enjoy the easy breathing.

14. Wdave

Wdave Member

I replaced mine with roughly 30k miles, and it was almost entirely clean-looking....
    Which is sort of surprising, but whatever. The cabin air filter was a heck of a lot dirtier.

15. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

My MM came up today for AO18 which is the usual oil change(A), inspection(O), tire rotation(1) and (8) shows up as engine air filter replacement in my HondaLink phone app. This happened today as soon as 45k miles rolled up. Anybody know what Fram air filter number Clarity uses? Can't find Fram number in any auto part store search and even the Fram website search function shows nothing. I will inspect for cleanliness and if dirty will just buy the filter from the stealership.

16. Maybe Fram doesn’t make one for the Clarity.

WIX, NAPA, K&N and a host of online sites, including Hondapartsnow.com have them, starting at $20.

17. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

Thanks, I'll check those out.