Emotional vs Empirical Analysis

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jun 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4353284-tesla-catching-nikola-wave

Elon Musk, Tesla's (TSLA) celebrity CEO and chief spokesperson, is back in the headlines. In a published email, and subsequent tweets, Musk stated that the Tesla Semi, the electric vehicle company's long-awaited Class 8 truck, would be given renewed priority:

"It's time to go all out and bring the Tesla Semi to volume production. It's been in limited production so far, which has allowed us to improve many aspects of the design."

Musk's comments sent Tesla's stock surging past $1000, putting the upstart EV maker within a hair of taking Toyota's (TM) crown as the world's most valuable automaker. Yet, there was little in the way of detail in Musk's message, leaving many reporters and analysts questioning whether it was serious. Indeed, it appears likely that Musk was motivated less by an intent to actually accelerate Semi production than by a desire to plug into the hype surrounding another name: Nikola (NKLA).

As I was reading this, I noticed an absence of empirical facts and data with too many emotional words and phrasing. This is a common style seen in writings by other Tesla skeptics who attack Elon while not sharing any technical analysis of the Tesla products. In fact, they claim there is competition but fail to do a point-by-point, compare and contrast analysis.

I don't have any information beyond the shared e-mails. We could speculate on why ranging from a battery breakthrough to a stronger defense against the NKLA patent suit. But the least convincing is the claim Elon is reacting emotionally to NKLA. Elon has a sense of humor but about any of his products, he is deadly serious.

So why did I rant about another skeptic essay?

I'm about to become a SHORT seller of NKLA. What I don't want to become is a 'hissy fit' essayists. The physics and chemistry of the NKLA products are so bad, there is a temptation to spill over into personal attacks. So I'm going to work hard to address empirical facts and data about their products and not use emotional terms, however well earned, for the NKLA CEO and staff.

Bob Wilson

ps. If you are curious about my personal options, send a PM and we can chat . . . keeping the content confidential. But you can probably guess my opinion.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Today you could short pretty well any stock and make a pile of money. No empirical analysis necessary...

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson