Emissions Warning and HV Range

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jlilly, Jun 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jlilly

jlilly New Member

So, I have been having another Emissions light for the past several days, and decided to try the 12v battery disconnect that others have suggested. That did work, but for some reason, the HV range came down from 900+ miles to 255 miles, which was reasonable, given the amount of HV driving I've done.

Filled the tank again, just to see what would happen (about 3 gallons) and it went up to 325 for HV range. Since the HV driving I've done averaged about 58 mpg, that's not unreasonable. It'll be interesting to see the software fix when it's finally available, but at least I have no Emissions light now, and the HV range is in the ballpark.

KenG likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Until the software patch is applied and unless you do practically all HV driving, the HV range estimate will go up unrealistically every time you add gas.

4. John Lilly

John Lilly Member

My hope is to not buy gas. Almost all my driving is EV.

5. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

I look at it this way, our car is like a Windows computer. The operating system runs all the time and never shuts off. Even when we turn the car off the computer doesn’t fully shut down but parts of it remain active while other parts of it remain in a suspended sleep mode. Anyone who has a Windows computer knows that if you don’t reboot it every so often it starts to act up. Rebooting/resetting the car using an ODB II device or by disconnecting the 12 volt battery cables is always a good first step. It can clear false alarms triggered by by faulty software code and confirm that there is a legitimate issue if the issue reappears after the reset. What is the first thing the dealership does when you bring it in and they can’t figure out or reproduce the issue-they reset the computer and tell you to bring it back if it happens again.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Soon Clarity owners will be installing anti-theft battery-disconnect switches just to make it easier to reboot!

Johnhaydev and KenG like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.